Author Topic: P40 Rudder  (Read 1498 times)

iawlasewicz

• Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: other
  • City: BUFFALO GROVE
  • State: IL
P40 Rudder
« on: March 13, 2023, 02:44:04 PM »
Hello Gentlemen:
I am looking for information on a new rudder design for Pearson 40. It is my understanding that Roger Marshall designed a new rudder for Chip Lawson and others (Kretchmer's article on P40 for Sail Magazine) and the result was a "partially balanced spade rudder."

I was wondering if anyone of you knew anything about that.

Thank you!

Iwona

PS. It does look like P40 owners are somewhat underrepresented here...

iawlasewicz

• View Profile
  • Model: other
  • City: BUFFALO GROVE
  • State: IL
Re: P40 Rudder
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 05:36:10 PM »
Hello Everyone:
I posted the question on Pearson Facebook group and Helge E.T. Thomsen responded. I am reposting his answer with his permission; some of you may find it very useful:

"Yes, Iwona Awlasewicz. They are still being produced. They are running about $4200+SH(I think to remember, but with the current state of economy it might have changed). PM me for further info. as I am the go-to guy for this Mk II rudder. They are made in Florida, at www.newrudders.com (Foss Foam) Cheers, E.T."

Iwona

wddick

• P40
    • View Profile
  • Model: P40
  • Vessel Name: ELIZABETH
  • City: Gulf Breeze
  • State: FL
Re: P40 Mk II Rudder (and some other stuff)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 09:57:47 AM »
Greetings Iwona!

The Commodore and I are enjoying a new-to-us P-40.  I joined PY.org last evening because of your observation that P-40 types seem underrepresented here.  ;-)

s/v ELIZABETH has the Mark II rudder.  We've not yet tested everything in a big following sea of the type that apparently made the original rudder so exciting so I can't (yet) really speak to performance in that situation.  However the immediately previous owner was wonderfully disciplined with keeping records and receipts -- next trip to the boat I will dive in and see what Mk II Rudder documentation I can find to share.

FWIW, we trucked ELIZABETH straight to a shipyard for refit.  Importantly, we pulled the chainplates and replaced with new (locally fabricated) parts.  That "may" have been unnecessary and the whole rig probably had a lot of good service left in it BUT there was just enough corrosion that I'm satisfied with the money and time spent.  (As you may know, stainless steel dislikes a damp, salty, ANAEROBIC environment such as where the chainplate is encapsulated by the fiberglass deck.)  Also, the plate (shoe?) upon which the mast is stepped (atop the keel, in the bilge) is mild steel and was horribly corroded.  We had a new plate fabricated in aluminum which has removed the dissimilar metals challenge with the mast.  (While this has nothing to do with the rudder it made an impression on me and I feel compelled to share.)

More later....  Thanks for the nudge to come out of the P-40 shadows.

David