Author Topic: Pearson 28-2 Stuffing Box  (Read 4950 times)

mljustice

• P28
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • City: Chesapeake City
  • State: MD
Pearson 28-2 Stuffing Box
« on: July 21, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
Hi ... Anyone know the wrench sizes required to adjust the stuffing box on a 1986 Pearson 28-2? Thanks.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Re: Pearson 28-2 Stuffing Box
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:45:48 AM »
I don't know the size on the P28 but the first time I had to do an urgent repair on my P323 I had to rely on a set of channel locks as it was the only tool available.  With the lack of space I was able to hold the handles on an angle to access it - not the optimal tool but it got me out of a bind as my bilge pump had failed.

If you don't have room to get a standard wrench on it here is a link to a basin wrench that might work for you: http://pearson323.com/documents/packing_gland.pdf

Men and Ships; Rot in Port

mljustice

• P28
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • City: Chesapeake City
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »
Thanks .. I had to do something quickly and luckily  a big pipe wrench worked for me. I was surprised how easily the lock nut broke loose, and I just tightened the gland by hand. I am definitely going to buy the proper wrenches for future use though. I appreciate the response.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »
A neighbor at the marina gifted me this pump from his Crealock 37. It had picked up a self-tapping screw and jammed.

He bought a new replacement not knowing what was wrong. When I swapped them for him he gave me this one. I removed the flotsam and it runs perfectly. The pump sat for years until I saw the R Redford movie LoL.

I mounted it far above nuisance bilge water ready to slow flooding from a dog-tastrophie.
It says clean and ready for action.

It is plumbed into the starboard side deck drain with a big vented loop to prevent siphoning.

It is a MONSTER!

I imagine we'd turn slowly to port if we ever need it.

This photo made while figuring out the install...