General Category - Pearson Owners and Enthusiasts > Boat Handling

When do you reef??

(1/3) > >>

Valor:
Just a quick question to all of you out there.  At what wind speeds do you typically reef and in what order?  The follow up question is above 20 knots of wind, what does your sail plan look like? 

Michael

selene:
It's an interesting question...and like most things on a boat, "it depends". If I am racing, I tend to carry more canvas than if I am cruising...and please note I make no claim to be an expert - indeed, I will be interested to see what others say. Always learning.

In general, in winds roughly 10 knots and below I use my genoa - about 115% in my case.  15-20kn I use a 100% jib; but at the higher end, the main may be let out to depower, or be reefed.  20kn up I use a blade - 90%, flat-cut headsail; I also consider reefing, almost certainly if cruising.

Around 25kn I have been playing around with the blade alone.  As you know, the 323 is very headsail driven, so she performs surprisingly well with headsail alone, pointing as high as with the jib+main. If you have not tried this, I encourage you to do so. It has surprised more experienced sailors than I.

As we get to 30kn, I am normally double reefed, main alone.  There are often gusts 5kn-10kn above this, and with the main alone this feels maneagable, even though it may be difficult to let the main out during a gust (due to the pressure).

So in general: I try and align the jib with the anticipated wind conditions, and adjust the main (reef/luff) depending on that the conditions actually are. When overpowered for a short time, I let the main luff; if I think it will be a longer haul (or increasing wind) I reef.  If in doubt...I reef.  Easier to shake a reef out than put it in.

Hope this helps!

Rusty Pelican:
The general rule is "If you think it's time to reef,  it's too late"

Valor:
@selene,- Great info, Thanks! Do you have a roller or do you hank on your head sails? Swapping out a large roller head sail in a blow seems like a 3 person job just to keep the sail on the deck. In regards to your blade, does it clear the forward shrouds? Looking for a used one for spring and fall use.

selene:
I have a furler - and so try and make sail choices based on the forecast and my own flawed judgement! Sometimes I get it right, sometimes not. But if the wind increases, I let the main luff - or I can sort of heave to (more like lying ahull) and reef (or take down) the main.  I think the shallow keel makes true heaving-to difficult - for me at least.

I try to avoid reefing the jib wherever possible; not only does the part-rolled jib have an awful shape with all that cloth up front, but watching the forestay flap around scares the heck out of me.

The shrouds are an issue - a big one.  All my headsails are outside the shrouds - which as you know means you can't get the jib in as tight as one would like. That (along with the skeg rudder and shallow keel) is why we can't point! I tried barber-haulers and other tricks, but the sail geometry always fouls the forward stay. I ordered a high-footed blade; it would be worth measuring is to see if a decksweeper could go inside the shrouds and still provide enough surface area. Of course, you would not be able to see anything....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version