Author Topic: General Painting thread (P26)  (Read 6425 times)

Black.Beard

• P26
  • Pearson Yacht Owner
    • View Profile
  • Model: P26
  • Vessel Name: SV Oberon
  • City: Highlands
  • State: NJ
General Painting thread (P26)
« on: July 12, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
I recently acquired a Pearson P26. I plan on dry docking the boat, taking it apart and revamping it, including paint. I am wondering what type of paint to use, how many gallons, any special conditions or circumstances, and just any overall advice for painting and sanding both the interior and exterior.

I plan on putting faux teak along the deck, cockpit, and am looking for recommendations for interior flooring.   

YoHo

Derrick

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: M. Garvey
  • City: Noank
  • State: CT
Re: General Painting thread (P26)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 03:47:53 PM »
As far as painting is concerned its really the prep that's important. i'm currently re-doing my topsides now. as for paint selection i went with total boat products, @part epoxy primer, and wet edge paint (single part). i plan on rolling it.  There are many paint systems, and products do your own research.
good luck

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »
Dragging this back up I was wondering if you could provide a review on the total boat paint you're using? I need to paint as well. Thanks

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 12:53:38 PM »
I used Interlux Perfection on my daughter's Santana 22.  The original paint was cracked, pitted, and needless to say, generally tired.  I pressure washed the boat, filled all the unused holes (thickened epoxy) and obvious defects, then gave it a thorough sanding - not down to through the gelcoat, but sufficient to get an even, clean surface and "key" for the new paint.

(I should add here that I have seen it written that you should sand off all the old gelcoat, otherwise the primer would react with it and they would peel off; this did not happen to me, but more research may be needed; I did speak with Interlux, who said the primekote would be fine, and they also said it is great for filling small cracks).

I then gave it two coats of the Interlux Primekote.  After sanding (one tends to do a lot of that), all cracks were filled, and the surface was smooth and ready for final fairing and the topcoat.

2 coats of perfection, using the 'roll and tip" method. Perfection is expensive, and as a 2-part paint needs to be applied quickly on a cooler day. However, it went on very smoothly, and ended up looking great.  It has been around 5 years; the boat has a new owner, and upkeep has not been so good...but the paint job still looks like new.

Hope this helps.

Chance

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: CHANCE
  • City: Milwaukee
  • State: WI
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »
When you do any painting, Prep is is the most important work to be done. After washing done the area . The top sides and all areas that were  wax.   Should be clean with a wax remover, otherwise you will  sand that wax into the gel and paint might fail.    I have for years wash my painted top sides, cabin sides and wax them by hand to protect them.  No power buffers ,there hard on the paint and the gel. Especially when the gel is 30 or 40 years old getting thin.     Bob K Chance hull 10 owner 41 years

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
The deck on my boat is in rough shape. There is one place on the forepeak starboard side where the gelcoat is worn away. The rest of the gelcoat in the cockpit coach roof etc is really chalky/faded. I've tried several times to revive it but haven't had much luck. I've got the boat on the hard for the winter I'm rebedding all the deck hardware, hatches etc. I'm going to redo the nonskid probably with kiwi grip. Any thoughts or advice on restoring the gelcoat or painting? Thanks.