Author Topic: V Berth Hatch  (Read 6896 times)

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
V Berth Hatch
« on: May 24, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »
Darn - port side hinge broke on my V-berth hatch. Looks like a Bomar 155; they sell them at West Marine...but for $1,300?!

Any other ideas? Anybody have a hatch top piece? I am trying local chandleries...

Need something pretty robust, I am often in 20-25 kn, so the bow gets wet :-)

Paul

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: V Berth Hatch
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
Blame Pompanette- That said- the Bowmar hatches are very robust. The Almag-35 material may be able to be welded until you can find a nice used one. No modern constructed hatch can compare with a good old Bowmar. I re-glazed mine with acrylic from a larger Bowmar hatch that was gifted to me (it also had a broken hinge). Then I cut-down the big front hatch's acrylic to fit the midships hatch- Now I have the modern design without all the screws holding the acrylic. It is bonded and hasn't leaked a drop in two years... I was also able to remove all the hardware from the gifted one- The spare parts are very expensive also. 41 years of service is proof of their good construction.

sailodr

• P323
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
  • Model: other
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
I have an original hatch that I would consider an offer on - send me a private email/message to discuss offline.
Signature goes here

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »
Sadly, new hatch ordered, received and installed! Quality seem to be the same as the original - the only issue is that the plexiglass is so clear, I need to sew up a cover or I will boil!