Author Topic: Finally got a new prop  (Read 3264 times)

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
Finally got a new prop
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:47:46 PM »
I couldn't afford a folding prop, so after a ton of research I ended up purchasing a Campbell Sailor Prop. West by North is the company name and they're in British Colombia. It took 10 days to get and they were awesome to deal with. They have a very unique prop design. The blades are 40% narrower then a standard prop but they look very aggressive. Drag is also reduced 40% compared to a stock prop as well, but those were magazine test articles, not my own observations.

My Yanmar 3GM30F has a max RPM of 3600. The boat was purchased with a 15x14 prop and I could only get 6kn@ 3300 RPM max which is why I was changing the prop. The new prop is sized at 15x9 which brings me to 3550 RPM. I normally cruise at 2800 RPM. My old prop with a fresh bottom was 5.5 knots @2800RPM. The new prop was 7.2 knots at 2800RPM. SOG was 6.8kn with a .3 current against. It really feels like a completely different boat when motoring now. When I upgraded to a PSS seal over the winter, I pulled the shaft, had it checked, cleaned and balanced just because. There is ZERO vibration of any type with the new prop as well.

The performance in reverse seemed to be good and the prop walk pulling up to the fuel dock feels like half of what it was. Overall I am extremely pleased. The price point is about $680 with 3 day shipping. If you're in the market for a new prop, check them out!
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F