Author Topic: Wrecked in transit  (Read 4445 times)

sawdustr86

• P28
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • Vessel Name: sunray
  • City: winston-salem
  • State: nc
Wrecked in transit
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:20:31 AM »
I bought a Pearson 28-2 three weeks ago, 1986 . This is a one owner boat kept in one freshwater lake all her life. I had another lake in mind . So I had it hauled out and shipped. It was only 30 miles from the destination when the driver had to hit the brakes. The boat slid forward into his truck and crushed his trailer. It also crushed the mast. There is also a hole in the hull, above the waterline and some rudder damage. I guess she didn't want to leave home.
I would still like get her back into the water. Fiberglass can be fixed by the right boatyard. But the mast is gone. Is there a market place for used spars? I could sure use some help and advice!

edithcollins

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Encontrado
  • City: Lake Lanier
  • State: GA
Re: Wrecked in transit
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear that.  I hope the transit company was properly insured.
I would check and see what other masts are the same length as ours. When I needed a new mast for the Santana 20, we found that the mast "blank" was the same as that for a mcgregor 26, which were closer to get. We did have to re tap all of the fittings, but that was not too bad as we had the old mast as a guide.

sawdustr86

• P28
    • View Profile
  • Model: P28
  • Vessel Name: sunray
  • City: winston-salem
  • State: nc
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
Thanks Edith. I appreciate your sympathy.  I'm sure other boats used the same spar extrusion as the 28-2. I have not been able to find out which ones though. It is an Isomat spar #NG 37. I'm sure Rigrite knows the applications, but they have not bothered to respond to my inquiries. Any other ideas would be welcome.

Reaching

• Renegade
    • View Profile
  • Model: Renegade
  • Vessel Name: Vayu
  • City: HELENA
  • State: MT
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
Hi Sawduster;

I know you posted this about a year ago, but I was wondering, (and hoping), if you got her all put back together?
"Not all those who wander are lost", JRR Tolkien