Author Topic: Need New Mast Step  (Read 9570 times)

GULL

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: GULL
  • City: New York
  • State: NY
Need New Mast Step
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:45:12 PM »
Need a new mast step. Nothing left of the original. Any leads on where to get one or have one made would be very appreciated.
GULL

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
Re: Need New Mast Step
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:13:55 AM »
There are some threads here in this board for replacing mast steps.  Lots of good info contained in those discussions.  Most, if not all, ended up fabricating new mast steps.  Also, check out the "Parts" link here, where there are a couple of fabricators listed.

http://www.pearson323.com/p323parts.html

My local marina fabricated my new one.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »
I used Carter Fabrications in Millersville, MD
( http://www.carterfabricationsinc.com/ )

They used the old one as a pattern and built a new one from 1/2" alum plate!  Even
added height to compensate for the 2 1/2" of rotted mast I had to cut off of the butt.

Unfortunately, they did not retain any plans for the design, but here's some photos.

@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:30:54 AM »
 Ed, please pass this along.
I have the exact copy that Carter made for Dolce Vita. I have not installed it yet and have it in a locker in Los Angeles. I am headed there for 10 days next week. If you can call Carter and make arrangements to make you one, I would be willing to ship mine to them so they could copy it for you. Not sure what shipping would be but should not be bad. If this works for you you can reach me at rbrtfeld@aol.com

Bob

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »
In preparation for the same project this spring I contacted DC Products (formerly Metalmast?), Carter Fabrications, and Rig Rite which are listed on the parts page. Rig Rite has a stock mast step but it needs an additional riser if you cut your mast. I found DC products a bit cheaper, but you do have to send your old step and mast section to them in CT.

Captain Ron White (a mentor in NC) says I should have one fabricated out of plastic locally for much cheaper.  Considering it but I haven't found any Pearson owners on the web who have gone that route.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:22:02 AM by SeaFever »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »
The plastic idea from Captain Ron is interesting but I am wondering if one could be made out of Carbon Fiber??????

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »
I should have mentioned that the fabrication done for Zufrieden by the local marina was made with fiberglass.  It's been three seasons, without any issues.  Total cost was just under $500.  The boat is under cover, 400 miles away, so I can't provide a picture right now, but it seems to have been a good choice.  Time will tell, I guess.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »
I have had three mast steps on ALMA. The original one rusted. The base of the mast corroded along with it. I took the old mast step and strapped it to my motorcycle to take it to a machine shop. When I arrived it was gone! Likely it found a home in a school bus windshield... Now I had no step for a template.

Luckily a local rigger was working on a sister ship 323 and he allowed me to come aboard and make detailed drawings. I had a new steel one made and took it to a 'powder coating' shop for the "miracle of the 90's"- Powder Coating. It lasted about a month before bubbles of rust emerged.

The steel lasted long enough for me to come up with a new step that was:

1) Corrosion PROOF.

2) Galvanically benign to the Aluminum MAST.

3) STRONG enough to handle the LOADS of the 'tension rod' that keeps the bulkheads firmly in their molded pockets when the shrouds try and squeeze the hull and lift the deck from the hull when hard on the wind. I did not believe an Aluminum Step can hold these loads with the current rod- Ed's 1/2 inch plate looks robust enough- LOL!

4) Electrically ISOLATED from the mast to allow the bonding to attach to the mast and NOT trust electrical bonding (less than a couple of volts) continuity through the step.

5) Elevated off the bilge to compensate for TWO rounds of trimming the base of the mast to cut beyond the corrosion. Remember the shrouds and stays are in agreement with the original dimensions of the uncut mast. And high and dry from nuisance bilge water.

6) Strong enough to locate the mast in it's perfect position for alignment and rake.

7) Self draining of rainwater that enters through the sheeve box.

8) PRETTY! after screwing around with this for years I wanted an elegant solution-

I found the answer with a stainless steel step with a bi-axial fiberglas 'cup' locating the mast and electrically insulating the aluminum from the stainless steel.
A simple aluminum plate in the fiberglass prevents the mast extrusion from cutting into the fiberglass cup-

It is six years old now and looks like new-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:47:05 PM by Alma »

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:29:06 PM »
Here is a re-post of my mast step.
From start to finish took 5 days.

I am sharing experiences on trying to acquire a new mast step for my P323 so as to save you time when the time comes for your replacement.

FORGET Rigrite. I contacted them and sent them the information detailed on their website on May 20th, and after three phone calls; NOTHING. From what I hear from people in the trade, they do not understand how they stay in business and really only sell parts. If you want old parts, give them a try, for custom stuff forget it
Every lead from this website came to a dead end, sad to say

It took me four weeks to find the guy who makes P323 and other mast steps and five days to make it.

Dick Conti was the MetalMast shop supervisor who oversaw the Pearson account; (BTW: he was not responsible for the carbon steel mast steps) He is also the guy who makes the custom mast steps for RigRite.
He has a vast selection of mast sections in his shop. Send him a tracing of your mast section on a nice thin piece of wood, and five days later your in business.
Here is pic of the step and a pdf of his business card
My launch date is July 2nd, 33rd launch streak

Good luck

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
Here ids Dick Conti's email.
He is based out of Connecticut

Ex Products Llc    dcproductsllc@yahoo.com

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
My local rigger made a killer mast step for me. He used 2, 1 inch thick pieces of Delron topped with a 1/2 inch aluminum plate. He put also made a male plug for the mast to sit on. Delron is super strong. Many high performance autos use Delron for all of the high load suspension bushing applications because it has zero deflection.  I think he charged me 400 bucks to make it.

Mike
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
How did you connect the tension rod that connects the step to the mast collar in the coachroof?

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
A stainless steel mast slug was slid up into the track after the mast was inserted through the coach roof and bolted to the mast about 13 inches from the roof. Once the mast was in place a stainless steel eye bolt was inserted into the hole the tension rod would of went through to connect to the mast collar, the eye portion is in the cabin. A stainless steel turn buckle is connect to the eye bolt and the slug and tensioned as needed. Because everything is at ceiling height, it all looks very clean and there is no rod to deal with. I will be at the boat on Sunday and I will snap a picture.

Michael
Michael M

Yanmar 3GM30F

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »
Here is the picture of how we eliminated the tension rod to the mast step. Sorry for the delay.

Michael
Michael M

Yanmar 3GM30F