Author Topic: Mast Lights  (Read 7325 times)

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Mast Lights
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
Looking at pulling the stick in the new year for rigging projects but I am not inclined to replace or add light fixtures if I don't have to.  I found the suggestions for replacing cabin lights with LED - good info!  Has anyone replaced their anchor light (or steaming light for that matter) with an LED bulb?  Any tips to share?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:15:25 PM by SeaFever »
Men and Ships; Rot in Port

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Masthead Light
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
Because Coast Guard certification of lights requires certification of the bulb AND the fixture, it is logistically impossible for LED bulb manufacturers to get their bulbs certified with every possible fixture.  As a result, the only certified LED lights are the ones that are a sealed assembly. 

CG approval of lights can become an issue if you have to make an insurance claim.  Insurance companies will look for any excuse to deny a claim.

That having been said, I used the following LED fixtures for my steaming and anchor lights when I rebuilt my mast 5 years ago:

Anchor Light: http://store.marinebeam.com/led-all-around-anchor-light/

Steaming Light: http://store.marinebeam.com/led-masthead-steaming-light/

I have been completely happy with these two products.  Bright, low power, and reliable.  And no more trips up the mast to replace burned out bulbs or clean corroded contacts!

The only thing I might do differently if I were doing it today is to get the anchor light with a photocell to automatically turn it off at dawn. (that model wasn't available back then)
http://store.marinebeam.com/led-anchor-light-with-photocell-sensor/

If you're really dead-set against replacing your existing fixtures, Marinebeam has a wide selection of constant-current LED replacement bulbs:
http://store.marinebeam.com/replacement-bulbs/
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »
Great advise thanks!  Looks like a reasonably priced upgrade for an anchor light that draws only 0.09 Amps.

I am hoping they ran an extra wire for spreader lights - I think there is a circuit breaker labeled as such on my main panel. If so I see that Marinebeam also carries a combination light for the deck.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »
I went hog wild with the deck lighting and used two of these LED spreader lights:

http://store.marinebeam.com/15w-led-spreader-deck-light-for-boats/

They light up the deck like runway landing lights, and are way better than the 10W halogen bulbs that were there!  Those were about as effective as dim moonlight!

At 15W apiece, they're a bit more power draw, but I figure I don't use them for long periods at a time, and felt the improved brightness was more important.

The only drawback was that I had to get a local welder to fabricate custom SS spreader mounting brackets, using the existing ones and some SS plate.

@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »
I installed ebay warm white LED festoon bulbs in the PERKO spreader lights I had installed 20 years ago-

The perko lights have survived because I drilled a tiny hole in the plastic lens to create a drain hole.

Believe me they were not $80.00 EACH when I bought them...

I used a piece of rough sandpaper with a rag under it against the contour of the spreader to mill down teak blocks as adapters to match the spreader contour.

If you have lights the festoon bulbs are less than $3.00

They are not real bright but just about perfect for offshore.

Some folks have problems with the single down light at mast fouling lines and busting up the light.

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
Re: Mast Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:09:35 AM »
If anyone else is looking at LED bulbs there is a good Practical Sailor article on the topic of replacing the anchor bulb with a tri-color bulb - assuming the wiring and fixture are in good condition.

The jist of the article is a Marinebeam tri-color bulb ($87) that plugs in as a replacement, and by pulsing the dc switch up to 3 times you get Anchor/Tri-color/SOS choices. The bulb itself meets COLREG requirements and you could replace the fixture too and meet the luminosity standards.

Marinebeam seems to come up with clever solutions for those of us on a budget!  (no affiliation here)

Comments on the article:

The Marinebeam Tri-Mode bulb is in fact a bulb (a light source), not a fixture. The bulb turns any existing all-around (anchor light) fixture into a tri-color/anchor light. UV could potentially craze the surrounding fixture lens, but not likely the bulb inside. For an extra $10 Marinebeam offers a complete fixture, which is the one shown in the PS article.

For just a couple more bucks, the fixture can be upgraded to a pole mount, allowing the fixture to be mounted as high off of the masthead as the user wishes. This solves any obstruction issues, and the user is still several hundred dollars ahead. Should the fixture eventually degrade due to UV, there is no expensive $300+ fixture to procure and replace. For another $15 or so, just the fixture itself can be replaced. The bulb itself should outlast most of us.

Alignment is easy using the premarked alignment tabs and rotation features on the bulb (assuming the user can find the bow of their vessel). Alignment is certainly easier than on any known tri-color fixture, which has no ability to fine tune the angle without drilling new holes, etc.

Posted by: Marinebeam | October 24, 2017 8:52 PM

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:40:34 PM by SeaFever »

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
Re: Mast Lights
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 04:02:50 PM »
When I refit Valor last April, I used Marine Beam for my tri-color mast light/anchor/strobe combo. It will free up your anchor breaker because its a 2 wire light. The mast head breaker controls all three modes based on turning it on and off for a few seconds. By default it is in anchor mode/ solid white light. flip the breaker off for 5 seconds and back on and its a tri color, flip the breaker off for 5 and its a sos strobe. Its very bright and I have had no issues with it all season.

I also purchased the Marine Beam 18 Watt LED spreader lights. You can get them as a spot or 60 degree flood beam. I bought the 60 degree floods. They are ridiculously bright. Like a combined 40 ft circle of light around the boat bright. I used one of the existing spreader bolts to mount the bracket. No holes to drill!  I also purchased the LED steaming light and down spot combo. Again, very bright and no issues.

Marine Beam is your best bang for your buck. Everything is very high quality and you will not find a better price on any of the three lights I mentioned from any other vendor.

FYI- If you use cheap ebay LED bulbs in your mast light, there is a HIGH probability you will have EMI Interference with your VHF radio when your light is on because the coil of the antenna is less then a foot away. A friend of mine purchased a cheap ebay led for his anchor light and his radio was horribly affected.  When he swapped the bulb the problem went away. Marine Beam lights do not have this issue.

I pulled all new tinned wire and monster RG-213 for the antenna while I was there. I had a lot of fun doing this project and the rewards of LED are so worth it.
Good luck

Mike
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:22:36 PM by Valor »
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F