Author Topic: Garhauer Rigid Vang  (Read 3195 times)

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Garhauer Rigid Vang
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
You will LOVE the Garhauler rigid vang. Ours is 8-9 years old and still like new.

You'll need to reverse the midships hatch to open towards the stern to accommodate the vang.

The Garhauler is fantastic for sail control upwind and also to keep the sail off the shrouds when running.

I mounted the mast bracket using only six of the eight holes so I could lower the bracket "a hole" for more leverage once I sorted out my mast boot mess.

When I redid my mast chock & boot flush with the partners flange I tried to "move down" a hole and found Garhauler didn't make the bracket holes symmetrical...

They offered to send me a new bracket- but of course the problem was the holes I already drilled in the mast (years ago) using their mast bracket as a drill-guide!

The difference was small enough that an hour or so with a tiny file and I was able to "worry" the holes towards the existing mast holes without removing much material from the bracket. The fastener's heads cover the tiny elongation and it is certainly secure.

If you want to mount the bracket "up a hole" to clear a mast boot and have the option of lowering it in the future when you use "Spartite" or other means of a flush mast boot and better leverage with the vang-

Make sure the bracket's holes will line up when you lower the bracket. I'm betting Garhauler changed the CAD drawing and these holes are perfectly symmetrical now.