Author Topic: Salon Bulkheads P323  (Read 5135 times)

oceanbrew

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: Jacksonville
  • State: FL
Salon Bulkheads P323
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
The two bulkheads both port and starboard aft of the salon, have rot right (my finger went right through) above where the settees meet the bulkhead. My understanding is that these bulkheads are only semi-structural in nature. They look like they can be removed and replaced. Has anyone done this? If so where are the points of attachment to rest of boat? And, if not...Get Rot my only option?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:36:35 AM by admin »

admin

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Captain Bri
    • View Profile
    • Red Sky Sails
  • Model: Ensign
  • State: CT
Re: Salon Bulkheads
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:36:12 AM »
I  have not experienced this type of rot on a P323 and apparently no others have either.  It sounds like some boat carpentry was in order.  Can you provide any information or photos on how you fixed this issue?
Captain Bri

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Salon Bulkheads P323
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 03:06:21 PM »
I grew up with wood boats. We came to prefer kerosene and kitchen matches to Git-Rot.

If you are referring to the half-bulkheads forward of the nav-station and Galley they might not be too hard to replace.
They offer a hand hold and stiffen the hull in concert with the hull liner. They are not primary structural elements- but important none the less.

First you need to discover what happened. Nothing would be worse than replacing them and having the new ones rot too.

I would guess windows leaking and fresh water running into the area where wood lays against the hull liner. Water can sit there a long time.

Check the bulkheads between the salon and head too- This is a job you want to wrap-up all at once.

If the (new) bulkheads are too big to fit through the companionway you can scarf together the replacements in the cabin.

Look to West System for these techniques.