Pearson Boats - Common Systems > Steering System, Hull Structure

Rudder removal

(1/3) > >>

Eddy:
Has anyone removed their rudder? I have play in the pintle/gudgeon. Boat is on the hard for the winter. I've had the bottom stripped of paint and letting it dry until spring. Thanks

Chance:
I took the rudder out of Chance pearson 323 1977 ,22 years ago. After she was hit by a lightning strike in 1995. There was excessive play in the rudder skeg shoe.  I want to epoxy the entire bottom of the boat plus rudder. I believe there is a bronze shoe fitting that the stainless rudder shaft or post fits in , needed some repairs.  Make sure you have enough room to drop the rudder and the length of the shaft, which goes just below the emergency tiller plate. I have seen people dig holes to get rudders out!  If you look at the rudder post you will see the shoe supporting it.  That is the of bottom of the shoe which is then fasten to skeg ,  I believe on the sides.   Again its been 22 years ago! Rudder is not light , you might have to lower it with a jack. Good luck Bob K

Alma:
When you epoxy the bronze back together be sure to smear a little modeling clay in the screw slots so the next guy can get the screws out in 2026...

Eddy:
How does the shoe come off? Are you able to just drop it down once unbolted? I was going to ask the yard to sling the boat when ready to remove .. is that not a good idea?

Trouttfish:
Did you end up removing the rudder? How did you get the rudder off the skeg shoe? I recently backed into some shallows and now my steering is very stiff. Everything looked good when I dived the boat so I'd like to drop the rudder to inspect the bushings and see if the rudder post is bent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version