Author Topic: Volvo Penta MD11C engine (oil pressure)  (Read 7058 times)

wsgodlewski

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
Volvo Penta MD11C engine (oil pressure)
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »
I am new to this forum. I have a Volvo Penta MD11C engine. The engine started to leak warm water. Looking over the engine I noticed that the gear box oil has a whitish color to it as if water was mixed with the oil. The engine oil was normal color and level. The most recent trip the oil pressure dropped to zero and after checking the oil level I noticed that the oil level was none. The dip stick showed a trace of oil on the bottom of the dip stick (color was normal, no water in the oil). Does anyone have any experience with this type of an issue?

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Volvo Penta MD11C engine (oil pressure)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »
I do not have direct experience in this engine (mine is a Westerbeke); but I would definitely not use the engine again unless it has been inspected by an expert, for fear of additional damage.  And fast - if water has gotten into the wrong part of the engine, that can wreak havoc.  If the engine gets into the combustion chamber, well, let's just say it isn't pretty as water does not compress very well.  And I once 'fused' an auto engine into a solid lump of metal when the oil escaped....

The disappearing oil is very worrying, as it can only go two places - into the bilge, or over the side; and dumping oil over the side, even inadvertently, is a bad idea and can lead to fines. Have you checked the bilge and under the engine? How is your exhaust?  Could the oil be burning off in that?

If it was a petrol engine I would immediately say the cylinder head gasket had gone. 

Final thought - this forum is not as heavily used as, say, Sailnet.  For a generic question like this you may want to try posting it there.

Good luck - and keep us posted.

wsgodlewski

• P323
    • View Profile
Re: Volvo Penta MD11C engine (oil pressure)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I did get a response from the SailNet forum.
"I had an MD11C in my Pelle Petterson (now sold). Thought it generally a great engine but with over 2000 hours it had some issues now and again. Never refused to start however. As to the apparent water in the trans the seals may need replacing. I had what appeared to be a similar problem plus the trans leaked oil and new seals fixed it. As to the oil pressure, probably a gasket somewher-presumably your bilge is full of oil? clean the engine, put in oil, run and look for the leak-oil pan (hope not unless the bilge is really deep), heads, filter on tight? Shut down if no pressure thoguh. You should be able to see a leak. Water leak: same thing, lokk at all hoses and connections, heat exchanger gasket, thermostat. freeze plugs, etc. Let us know what you find."