Author Topic: Extended Boom P323  (Read 4415 times)

kinneykrega

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Extended Boom P323
« on: July 05, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »
PO installed an extended boom on the P323. 24" longer than original boom. Said he wanted more powerful sail plan.  He says no excess weather helm and balances well, but I have my doubts. Has anyone seen or had experience with an extended boom on this boat?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:45:05 AM by admin »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Extended Boom P323
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »
No experience with an extended boom, but using trig to calculate the center of effort of the main shows it moving aftward by about 8 inches (from 55" to 63" from the mast).    This will increase weather helm by some amount, all else remaing equal.  How much , I don't know.

In addition, although the center of effort will remain the same height above the deck, the increased area will produce more force, thus causing increased heeling, which will further increase the weather helm.

My own personal experience is that, due to her stubby shoal-draft keel, the 323 likes to sail "on her feet".  I usually go the other direction, putting in the first reef at 15  kts, and the second at 20 kts.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Extended Boom P323
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:19:11 PM »
I have seen a few P323 'tweaks', but never that one!  You must be sailing in light winds.

The P323 seems to be very headsail driven. Like Ed, I also reef the main early - or if I am racing, often I have to let the main luff to depower the rig. But then, for most of the year I am sailing in 15kn+...