Author Topic: Sail Cleaning  (Read 3780 times)

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
Sail Cleaning
« on: September 17, 2018, 04:20:03 PM »
Need advise on what to soak asymmetrical in to clean and remove some light mildew.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Sail Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 07:43:39 AM »
Well, this is not helpful, but...

I called our local sailmaker, Kame Richards of Pineapple Sails. Well-known in the Bay Area. My main (Dacron) was looking a bit scrappy, so I asked his advice on cleaning the sail - light bleach, laundry detergent - what would he suggest?

Kame:  "Buy a bigger hat"

Me: "Huh?"

Kame: "That way you won't see the stains"

He went on to explain that he does not recommend any chemical treatment to his sails....

Captain Bri

• Brian
  • Ensign
  • Sailmaker
    • View Profile
    • RedSkySails.com
  • Model: Ensign
  • City: Anytown
  • State: Ct
Re: Sail Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »
I would tend to agree with Selene's comments... but with that said I have washed a lot of sails with my repair business. Unfortunately with mildew if you don't catch it right away it will set in, seemingly permanent. I use a product I get from Challenge Sailcloth that is an industrial strength laundry detergent and although it does make a sail "brighter" it has minimal effect on mildew stains. 

Assuming your spinnaker is a nylon product it should be safe to use a mild detergent and warm water soaking and elbow grease with a soft brush.  Some say that vinegar may help but I have not tried that. You might investigate various spot removal products that indicate they are safe for nylon... or get the hat.  Good luck. 
Men and Ships; Rot in Port