Author Topic: P323 - sump pump switch  (Read 9130 times)

edithcollins

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Encontrado
  • City: Lake Lanier
  • State: GA
P323 - sump pump switch
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »
Hi,
We have not used the shower drain, but I am reading in the OM that the vanity sink drains into the shower sump pump.  Where is the switch usually located to operate that pump?
Thanks!
Edith
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 11:02:25 AM by admin »

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
Re: sump pump switch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:01:43 PM »
On mine, (#344 - a 1982 model) the sump switch is located on the forward bulkhead, not far above the little back-splash behind the sink.  It's a pull-out device, on it's own circuit.  Good luck.

Chance

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: CHANCE
  • City: Milwaukee
  • State: WI
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:45:51 PM »
On Chance 1977 P323 the switch for the sink is the same as the shower drain next to the 120 volt receptacle in the head.  We put a cork in the drain for shower  when not in use . This will increase your suction to the sink. The pump is located under the bin next to the mast . I  installed a y valve before this pump and short hose to bilge for a backup bilge pump .                                                                                     Bob K

edithcollins

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
Apparently we don't have a pump.  The sink drains into the bilge. Was the pump an option?
Thanks for your help!

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
FWIW, on Selene, as with others who have responded, the sink and shower connect to a "grey water" holding tank just abaft of the mast.  The pump is next to the mast, starboard side (access by removing the plastic bin under the settee).

The switch is a funky pullout switch on the forward bulkhead in the head area, as rnebergall stated.

As Chance said (nice idea about the backup bilge, btw) putting the plug into the sink - or a cork :-) - dramatically improves the suction.

Personally, I like a dry bilge - one of the advantages of an encapsulated keel.  The only modification I have seen, which I liked (on Enchantress, last I heard just completed the crossing to Hawa'ii), was moving the grey water tank further forwards, opening up the entire space under the cabin sole hatch for a lot of extra storage.

You may want to look for the discharge thru-hull for the grey water tank - perhaps you never had one.  For me, the discharge is above the waterline, behind the sink. If you never had one - well, I don't like putting more holes in the hull!

good luck

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 07:44:25 AM »
Everything was an "option" back then with the Pearson's.

edithcollins

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »
We are spending the weekend on the boat.  We can take a closer look. 
Thanks for your replies!
Edith

MangoCats

• P303
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P303
  • City: Jacksonville
  • State: FL
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »
I'm sure it's no longer original, but my 303's head-sink drains to an underwater thru-hull under the sink, while the shower drains open to the bilge, though it looks like at one time there might have been a shower sump pump that ran to a thru-hull above the waterline on the stern (that thru-hull is connected to a hose that ends unterminated in the bilge, not far from the unterminated hose leaving the shower drain...)  There's a red-lighted pump switch above the sink - the switch lights up when it's turned on, but nothing appears to happen in response (still tracing all the head plumbing and wiring, there's quite a bit....)

I suppose if we started using the shower on a regular basis, I'd want to send the drain water directly overboard, instead of letting it loose in the bilge to go out with the normal bilge water... what type of pump would be appropriate for a shower drain?  It will "run dry" as a regular course of operation, so I don't think that normal bilge pumps would like that duty, unless the showering passenger could be trusted to manually operate the electrical switch (while they are wet) to just pump the floor dry, before it overflows but not after it's fully drained...?

Valor

• P323
  • Pirate Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: VALOR
  • City: GLEN COVE
  • State: NY
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:53:53 PM »
The sink in the head on my 78 323 goes to an above the waterline though hull fitting. No sump pump. Mine doesn't have a shower installed either but I have one in the cockpit.
Michael M

1978 Pearson 323 Hull #108.
Yanmar 3GM30F

MangoCats

• P303
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 10:36:46 PM »
For whatever reason, both the sinks in my 1984 303 go to below the waterline thru-hulls.  Both of which happen to have seized (open) seacocks at the moment - currently applying PB blaster and patience to them.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
We have the original pull on push off switch at the head and I made a spot for a 'sump' switch in our new electrical panel by the battery switch. I don't recommend any automatic arrangement for this switch. The gray water has too much flotsam for a float switch to work.

I made a grey water 'tank' from a Tupperware to replace the original Pearson arrangement which had a heavy fiberglass tank with 18 screws holding a lid. We use the shower often so a Tupperware lid is great for the constant cleaning of hair and soap scum from the sump tank

This gray water 'tank' accepts water from the shower sump and icebox. The icebox tank inlet is higher than the shower one so there it is less likely for sump water to back up into the ice box drain line.

I also ran solid PVC pipe from the (original PAR) sump pump to the tanks so I could tee-off a line to the bilge with a strum box to pick up any nusance bilge water. I have a huge electric 'crash pump' that is available for serious flooding. It is mounted high and dry 7 inches above the bilge sump to keep it clean and ready for a "Redford".

This arrangement has worked well over ten years.

MangoCats

• P303
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
I have a huge electric 'crash pump' that is available for serious flooding. It is mounted high and dry

How often do you test your 'crash pump'?  My boat came with a 3 pump setup in the bilge, 1 110, 1 big 12 and 1 small 12.  Upon closer inspection, the 110 pump was completely non-functional (hoses both went nowhere), and the two 12V pumps are wired to the same float switch.  Closer inspection still revealed that the "big" 12V pump wasn't moving any water due to a kink near its thru-hull.  I finally learned the last bit by bringing a dock-hose into the bilge and letting it run free, to see where the water went - and didn't go.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:59:32 AM by admin »

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 05:25:59 PM »
My 'crash pump' is operated manually with a switch on the panel- It is labeled Bilge Pump to prevent confusion...

The reason the 'crash pump' is mounted 7" above the bottom of the bilge sump is to keep it dry and clean. It's only purpose is to give me extra time to find flooding or arrange abandon ship. It is as new and ready any time. It is plumbed with smooth wall high pressure hose I scavenged from an old hot tub.

A smaller diaphragm pump is used for bits of rainwater or beer... That pump also drains the shower/icebox plastic tank. We removed the Head sink and all of its Rube Goldberg plumbing.

Here is the BIG Rule pump mounted to a bent piece of Aluminum to hold it above the bilge. The aluminum is drilled to allow water in from the base as well as the sides. The aluminum is precisely bent to allow it to wedge itself without fasteners and it is easy to lift the whole assembly for maintenance-This photo made right before wiring was finished...

And second photo is its discharge through the existing side deck scupper above the water line. You can clearly see the $50.00/ft white 'marine grade' hose and its brown twin 'scavenged hot tub hose'-

I imagine a little left rudder will be required to compensate if this pump is ever used in anger LoL.

It squirts like a jet boat!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:45:49 PM by Alma »