Author Topic: Chainplate Dimensions  (Read 7512 times)

Derrick

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: M. Garvey
  • City: Noank
  • State: CT
Chainplate Dimensions
« on: November 01, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »
Does anyone have a sketch of the chainplates?? Even if its hand drawn. i can model it and make a drawing that i will repost for all
Thanks
Derrick

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Chainplate Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »
I think they are all slightly different dimensions! As I recall the masthead shroud chainplate is longer than the other two....

Vantage

• P323
  • P323 Idiot Savant
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Coral Rae
  • City: LaSalle
  • State: MI
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »
Look like Pearson used .25"x1.5" SS bar stock for port and starboard chain plates. The hull attached chainplates for the upper (middle) shroud are about 14.25". The fore and aft chainplates are 12". The spacing and centering of the bolt holes is not exact. Middle chainplate 2.25" to 2.5". On the fore and aft chainplates 2.25" and 3". I plan on filling the holes on the boat with epoxy and glass and redrilling.

316 Stainless bar stock can be ordered from OnlineMetals.com    http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=662&step=4&showunits=inches&id=27&top_cat=1 

Cost about $1.37/inch for custom lengths. Cheaper for standard lengths. Easier to cut, drill and polish than one might expect.

I'm actually not using stainless to replace my chainplates, but fabricating them from carbon fiber/resin and glassing them into the boat. The ones that cannot be easily inspected anyway.

Craig

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
Thanks for the info...I'd be interested in what you needed to do to get at the chainplates, as I also should check/replace mine soon.  It looks like unscrewing a lot of screws and removing the panels, but if you could share your experience, that would be great!

Vantage

• P323
  • P323 Idiot Savant
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Coral Rae
  • City: LaSalle
  • State: MI
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »
In the future, when i have a bit more time, I will do a big write up on replacing chainplates. By the  end of winter I will have replaced all my chainplates.

Keep this in mind. Removing the nuts and bolts is a major deal. Expect to have to cut most if not all bolts/nuts off. Also keep in mind you will be in cramped quarters.

Keep this in mind also. Replacing chainplates like I am doing here requires deck work!!!

Craig

Derrick

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: M. Garvey
  • City: Noank
  • State: CT
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »
Thanks Vantage.
I'll do a rough cad drawing based on your measurements.