Author Topic: Yanmar instrument panel replacement  (Read 6137 times)

Gridrat

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Ginger Grey
  • City: Neavitt
  • State: MD
Yanmar instrument panel replacement
« on: September 01, 2016, 05:36:28 PM »
I have a 3YM30 Yanmar Diesel engine with an old style b-type instrument panel. The panel only has a tach and idiot lights on it. The panel needs to be replaced. I am looking for a replacement panel now, but I would be up for upgrading to a better panel with gauges for oil pressure battery etc.  Has anyone replaced an old b-type panel with newer type. How difficult was it to install and how expensive is the upgrade. I know I'm asking a lot but I've gotten great information in the past.

Thanks Wayne

Sanctuary

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sanctuary
  • City: Smithtown
  • State: NY
Re: Yanmar instrument panel replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 01:12:36 PM »
Just going off ancient memory but the wiring should be in the harness already.  If you change from a light to a gauge you also need to change the sending units. I.E. if you have an oil light, it uses a switch, If you have an oil pressure gauge it uses a sending unit (pressure variable resistor). Same goes for temp light to gauge. Tach is the same. You can have a custom panel made but no matter if you go factory or custom it's probably going to be pretty pricey. But then again to borrow from Don Henley, When's the last time you saw a hearse with a roof rack on it?   

Yanmar makes a multi gauge that has the tach, oil pressure and water temp all in one that would replace your existing tach . I think they run about $400?  Plus you need the senders. So you can keep the panel you have but get real time info from gauges, not idiot lights.

Not a hard job to do.

Gridrat

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Ginger Grey
  • City: Neavitt
  • State: MD
Re: Yanmar instrument panel replacement
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
Thank for your input.