Author Topic: 323 Repower  (Read 7626 times)

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
323 Repower
« on: August 03, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »
I bet this topic has been covered ad nauseum, but want to turn the MD 11c into an artificial reef and Repower. What is the easiest way to go? Beta engines have my interest. Is there one that is a direct replacement, mounting on existing mounts and mating up to the Walter v drive. Money is not an obstacle, it's why I work in my retirement. Just don't want to cobble up the boat.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: 323 Repower
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:49:43 AM »
Many opinions out there.  FYI, mine was repowered with a Westerbeke 30B three. Somehow the yard installed it without cutting the vertical support in the galley between the engine cover and the small door...

Removing the engine is also a great opportunity to refurbish, clean and repaint the engine compartment! And look at the wiring while the engine is out; it ia a lot easier to upgrade any electrics with the engine out, as some of the wiring id difficult to reach otherwise.

Whatever engine you install, do look at ways to make maintenance simpler; for example, positioning the oil filter in an accessible location; some engines may also need the oil sump drain plug relocated. Probably obvious stuff, but just in case!

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 10:04:45 PM »
I see Beta engines are pretty much a replacement as they will configure mounts to those of the engine you are replacing. Also, the Walter V-Drive can be used. And horsepower for horsepower, a smaller package. May be a win-win.

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
Mine had been repowered by the original owner. He bought the Westerbeke direct replacement for the atomic 4. It's a marinized Kubota (Beta) v850 4 cylinder diesel. Mine has a hurth v drive. The divider between engine panel and cabinet door was cut. If pictures would help let me know and I can snap some next time I'm down.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
I see Beta engines are pretty much a replacement as they will configure mounts to those of the engine you are replacing. Also, the Walter V-Drive can be used. And horsepower for horsepower, a smaller package. May be a win-win.

The 3cyl Beta is a good HP match for the displacement of the 323.
Rule-of-thumb is one HP per every 500 lbs displacement.
I was not aware that they now had an option to match the Walter V-drive.
Six years ago, when I talked to a Beta rep at the Annapolis Sailboat show, this was not the case, and you had to use a Hurth V-drive.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

rnebergall

• P323
  • P323 Owner
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Zufrieden
  • City: Grand Marais
  • State: MN
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »
I went with the Yanmar 3YM20.  It's on the bottom end of power recommendations, but I have not experienced any issues.  I get 6 knots easily @2500 rpm.  The 3YM20 required new trans/reverse gear, of course, and redo of the mounting bed to correct for the angle.  I am not a skilled mechanic, so the marina did all the work, including new shaft, prop and dripless sealing system.  Transmission is the ZF Marine ZF15MIV.  The modifications to engine bed were very nicely done, and do not detract in any way.

They did have to cut the column between engine compartment panel and hinged door.  I really did not want that done, but as it turns out, it's no big deal.  I don't even notice the stainless fasteners holding the column in place now.  They just blend in with other elements of the interior. 

As for negatives on the 3YM20, access is awkward to the oil dip stick, oil fill and oil filter.  Have to remove the port side pegboard panel to check the oil.  It's better than the MD11c, once the pegboard panel is removed, but arranging storage so I can easily do something as vital as check the oil is a mild annoyance.

Well into my second season with the new engine, and I could not be happier.

There are certainly other good choices, including the Beta.