Author Topic: holding tank sensor  (Read 5979 times)

need low boom

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Islandhopper
  • City: Nashville
  • State: TN
holding tank sensor
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
I have a 1980 323 with 40 gallon holding tank and am need to replace sensor that lets me know when tank is2/3 full. Does anyone know where I can get one. It was made by
CELANESE.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: holding tank sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 08:12:14 PM »
Wow!  40 gallons!  The stock 323 came with a small 10 gal holding tank as standard.  And 10 gal is WAY too small for cruising (don't ask me how I know this!)

The 323 came standard with two 19 gal water tanks in the port and starboard sides in the main cabin. A 40 gal water tank in the bow was an option, so I suspect a previous owner either converted an existing water tank into a holding tank, or installed one in the bow locker space that was otherwise there.

My point is that this was a custom installation.

That being said, your best bet is probably the R/V supply world, where such sensors are common.
Here's a link to one kind of sensor that claims to be proof against fouling that causes false readings:

http://www.rvprobes.com/howitworks.html

If you end up replacing the whole sensor system, Garnet Industries has non-contact sensors that go on the outside of the tank and are immune to fouling:

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/products/
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

need low boom

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Islandhopper
  • City: Nashville
  • State: TN
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »
Thanks. Boat is from East China Township on St Clair river. The holding tank is in the bow and is stainless steel. There is no Y valve. I guess they are very strict about pumping overboard in Michigan. Most boats I have been on have the Y valve

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
Yes, I understand that on the Great Lakes, you can't just have your Y valve locked off, it has to be physically disconnected from the thru-hull, and both ends sealed off.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4