Author Topic: Broad reach sailing in high wind and following seas  (Read 7293 times)

Scott

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Dartmouth Nova Scotia
Broad reach sailing in high wind and following seas
« on: July 05, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
Hi, I am finally getting to sail  my 323 that I purchased last year. I am noticing that the boat rolls heavily from side to side when I am on a broad reach, mores than other boats I have owned. I am wondering how she actually likes the sails set in let's say 15 to 20 knots with a 3 to 6 foot following sea. She seems to get pushed around at the stern and roll heavily from side to side. I had one reef in the main and the jib reefed to about 110 when this was happening. Any pointers and or explanations of how I can get her sailing on this point of sail better then what I have been doing? Thanks Scott

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Broad reach sailing in high wind and following seas
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:12:55 AM »
The 323 is normally a pretty stiff boat, but she likes to sail "on her feet",  so reefing early helps.
I normally put the first reef on the main at 15 kts, and the second reef at 20, and reef the jib significantly.
She'll heel less and go faster.  This should help with the roll, but 3 - 6 ft following seas in a shallow coastal environment is going to produce short steep waves that are going to try and broach any boat.

If control becomes a safety issue, you can trail a line or two off of a stern cleat to help keep from broaching.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Scott

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Dartmouth Nova Scotia
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:52:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I will certainly follow your advise next time out and let you know how it goes. I am just getting used to sailing this boat, it is bigger than my last one which was an Ericson 29, that had a tiller not a wheel. Yes the seas were shortly spaced as the wind was against the outgoing tide. Scott #135

DavidG

• P323
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Independence
  • City: Georgetown
  • State: MD
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 09:28:55 AM »
Thanks for rule of thumb reefing!  I experienced at times heavy roll sailing while wing and wing, with 4-6 foot seas, on my first sail this past Thanksgiving (sailing my new purchase home).  Wind conditions were building and were between 15 - 17 kts.  The rolling was somewhat more my fault (from heavy steering) and with chasing shifting wind conditions while trying to pinch around a point.  I should have rigged a preventer to help with this the point of sail, but the rudder was very effective and boat quickly responded to keep my sails full - dicey at times, and there were some times the roll was very heavy!  I should have reefed...