Author Topic: Jib and Main lines/halyards. what is the right length and gauge?  (Read 6135 times)

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
I need to replace the lines but I don't know the optimal length to order nor the correct line gauge... I'm thinking its half inch but could use some input.
Also, what would you suggest minimum quality/stretch limits?

Thanks,
Mark

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Jib and Main lines/halyards. what is the right length and gauge?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »
As always...it depends!  What size jib do you have?  A genny may need shorter lines than a blade.  And how is your main rigged?

Personally I use 1/2 on the jib sheets, 40' each.  In theory you could go smaller diameter, but smaller lines didn't work on my (original) self-tailing winches (they tend to slip). And I like the feel of 1/2". And the overkill diameter means I don't worry about stretch so much.

For the mainsheet I have upgraded the blocks to give me a 6:1 purchase with two control lines, so I need a lot more line than usual; I used 65' of 1/2", which is probably 5-10' more than I actually need. I opted for Regatta Braid which is a bit softer on the hands, and has worked out well for me so far. You may want to look at that type of line.

Not clear about stretch limits - modern lines really don't stretch much, and a 1/2" is way overkill for the forces you are likely to be facing...double braided lines, of course.....I normally use the sta-set for sheets, but have occasionally used Endura. I am generally sailing 15-25 knots, and have not yet had any problems. 1/2" Sta-Set has 9000lb breaking strength and about 2% stretch, as I recall....Endura has effectively no stretch, but is 2-3x the price.

Hope this helps.

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
Excellent advice. thank you VERY much.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 09:15:09 AM »
I use 60' 10mm Dynemma.
Expensive, has a great hand, light weight and never needs to be tweaked due to stretching 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:08:05 AM by Rusty Pelican »