Author Topic: Replacement Cowl  (Read 7813 times)

Homeindeed

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: Sandusky
  • State: OH
Replacement Cowl
« on: January 02, 2016, 11:53:26 PM »
Has anyone replaced their Cowl above the cabin?  My jib sheet caught it and sent it flying in heavy wind the other day. 

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Replacement Cowl
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
Yes, indeed, I've replaced my cowls (I have two)  several times.  The Jib sheets have a tendency to snag under them when tacking in a good wind, even if they've been turned to face aft.

A friend suggested using large hose clamps to secure them.  I did this successfully for a couple of years until the sheet caught under one during a particularly windy race.  The clamp held, and ripped the base right out of the dorade box!

I've also considered using an internal chain "keeper" to keep them attached to the boat when they're pulled out, but in the end, I just remove them before a sail and reinstall them when were at anchor.

I believe the original cowls were the tall ones, but I've been using the Nicro Fico low profile ones.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290139|2290141&id=1391304

@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 12:22:53 PM »
So glad to hear I am not the only one this has happened to!  It amazes me what the jib sheets can do.  In addition to the lost cowls, those darned sheets grabbed the winch handle I keep at the mast and threw that overboard - and most memorably once self-tied an almost perfect hitch on the jib halyard cleat!

I also use the Nicro Fico, small in the bow, taller amidships. It irritates me that the plastic they use yellows and goes bumpy within a couple of seasons, but with my creative sheet tangling I won't risk anything more pricey.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:38:21 PM »
We've lost a winch handle at the mast too!  I learned to keep the handle pointing aft to minimize the possibility of a jib sheet snagging it.  This seems to work much better for the handle than it does for the cowls.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:25:47 PM »
I took the screws for the dorado box and set them in Marine Tex. I then fastened the cowl base to the box with bolts rather than screws, backed with fender washers and nylon nuts. Then after putting the cowl in place, on four points put bolts through the cowl and base, again fastened with fender washers and nylon nuts. I sit back now and laugh at the sheet as it tries to break my cowl loose with it eventually just sliding off the top of the cowl. I won!

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:57 PM »
Been there done that. When I got back to my slip once after sailing in 25+ winds, It took me a minute or so to figure what the heck happened to my Port Cowl. Makes you feel kind of stupid but glad I am in good company. Fair winds to all and Happy New Year