Author Topic: Removal of hand rails on coach roof  (Read 8358 times)

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
Removal of hand rails on coach roof
« on: December 16, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »
Has anyone done this? It looks like the headliner needs to come out but looks to be no access to the forward 2 or 3 bolts unless there is room to reach in there after headliner is removed. Any information appreciated. Thanks.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Removal of hand rails on coach roof
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 08:20:16 AM »
I have had the headliner out and I have never seen evidence of fasteners coming through the cabin top for the handrails. I believe they are screwed into blind holes in the molded in handrail supports. I have often thought of the wonderful oval shaped stainless steel handrails I've seen on other boats. IT would be something to bend the oval shape to follow the contour of the 323's cabin top... Please post what you find when you remove them. Mine are shot.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:17:55 AM »
A previous owner x 2 replaced the rails on ours.  It looks like he had to cut holes thru the inside cabin liner roof.  There are now ugly bolt stubs sticking thru, with some kind of hardened spray-in foam showing around them.   
I'll get photos the next time I'm there.

@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 04:54:25 PM »
I believe the rails can be removed topsides, and the mounting holes enlarged and fitted with heli-coils set in thickened epoxy for machine screws in blind holes... then no chance of water entering coachroof balsa core.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:56:12 PM by Alma »

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »
The fasteners are #10 or #12 stainless machine screws. This all started when I noticed the forward end of the handrail on starboard side was slightly raised. It won't fully tighten. I was thinking removing the headliner would allow me to get to the underside. Since it's machine screws there should be a nut?

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »
I like the design of the 323s handrails. No leaks and strong. The all-wooden handrails on other yachts often with mirror image duplicates down below are always a source of water leaks. I've seen plenty I wouldn't bet my life on. I'm curious to see what you find. A blind hole makes a lot of sense to prevent leaks. If the threads in the coachroof are stripped you might be able to tap the threads in the "nut" in the roof a size bigger metric and be back in business with a metric fastener. Could there be a metal insert in there? Pricy.  I'd hold off messing with the other screws 'till you find what you are up against. Lowering the headliner is simple. I re-did mine with formica. If you go that route use the thin stuff...

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:41:30 PM »
Well, I got back to the boat and took some pictures of the hand rail mounting.  They actually left me more puzzled than before as to what the PO x 2 actually did when he replaced them.

The first thing you'll notice, is that the screws are located outside of the area covered by the vinyl-over-masonite headliner.  In my case, the PO x 2 appears to have used bolts that were too long and actually extend through the fiberglass cabin roof liner.  Near as I can tell, he pre-drilled (and splintered)  the holes from the inside.  The reason I say this is that in most of the (oversize) holes are off-center, and in one of them the bolt actually misses the hole and is pressing against the fiberglass liner from the inside!

All of the bolts appear to have some kind of hard foam or epoxy oozing out around them.  Don't know if this was an attempt to seal them, or what's actually holding them in!  At least they're all solid and none of them leak.

@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4