Author Topic: Pirate Race  (Read 7627 times)

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
Pirate Race
« on: October 23, 2015, 03:56:46 PM »
Going to my first race this Halloween.  Its the Stede Bonnet Regatta in Southport, N.C..  No entrance fee and everyone has to dress as a pirate.  I know there is a few thing I should know, like make sure your anchor is up and keep the wind in you sails.  But if you have a few helpful hints let me know.  Oh yes, we are still sailing here in the NE part of South Carolina.   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:01:49 PM by Frayed Knot »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Pirate Race
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 10:58:29 AM »
Going to my first race this Halloween.  Its the Stede Bonnet Regatta in Southport, N.C..  No entrance fee and everyone has to dress as a pirate.  I know there is a few thing I should know, like make sure your anchor is up and keep the wind in you sails.  But if you have a few helpful hints let me know. 
  • Traveler position is supremely important on the 323.  Individual boat's specific strategy will vary based on your sails, but in general, keep it pretty high on upwind legs.
  • The 323's short stubby keel is great for gunkholing, but really limits your upwind ability.  I've found that when close-haulled just to the point before the jib pinches, I make soo much leeway that my course over ground is worse than if I stay 5-10 degrees off of pinching.
  • If you're doing non-spinnaker, tacking back and forth between broad reaches seems to do better than dead downwind with a wing-n-wing.
Oh yes, we are still sailing here in the NE part of South Carolina.
Here on the Chesapeake we're still getting a few great fall sailing days too, but time is running out fast.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 01:42:05 PM »
Do you think tacking is still better even with a whisker and a boom vang?

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »
I would say it depends on the size of your genoa.  With our relatively modest 135 it certainly seems to be true, but with a great big 155 it might be different.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »
Did the race and finished...  First half of the race we were flying passing boats right and left...  Rounded the can and it was all down hill from there.   Did I mention we finished.