Author Topic: Hello Everybody! Dodger?  (Read 7082 times)

Carefree_Highway

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Carefree Highway
  • City: Fulton, TX
Hello Everybody! Dodger?
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:02:05 PM »
I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Randal Williams and I am the new, proud owner of hull #281, 'Carefree Highway'. I have owned her for almost two months and she is my first sailboat. As I was in need of a maiden voyage to learn how to sail, my youngest son and I took her on a four day trip from Clear Lake Shore Texas to Fulton Texas where she is now moored. I have a lot of work to do on this boat, and I hope you folk will give be gracious enough to help a new sailor figure things out. For starters, where would be a good place find a dodger? Would it be possible to build one? I've already seen Dolce Vita's bimini and will be looking for something similar. If you can help with information, I'm all ears. And thanks in advanced!

Randal
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:38:07 AM by SeaFever »

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
Re: Hello Everybody!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »
Welcome. I'm Mark Godsey. I own The Great Godsea, Hull 265. She is my first boat also. You've got a great boat there. She is strong as can be, sails like a dream, and will make you smile over and over again. This is my 3rd season. I knew nothing about sailing when I bought her. I took basic keelboat and coastal cruising courses, as well as getting the required safety focused boating license. there are plenty of great and knowledgeable folks on this site who I know will be happy to help out with solid advice on just about everything having to do with the 323. I'm too green to weigh in on your topic. I don't have a dodger but I do have a bimini and MAN am I glad I do. you can really get roasted on a hot sunny day without one.
Safe Travels,
Mark

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »
Can't beat getting some quotes from the local canvas shops. For a couple of bucks more that do it yourself, they have the hardware, sewing machines, and expertise to make a better product. Usually comes with a limited guarantee should something go wrong. I have a guy near me I have been using for years. I can take something in for a quick repair, and half the time my fee is a cup of coffee.

Carefree_Highway

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Carefree Highway
  • City: Fulton, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply Guys! I can live without the dodger, but I will need a bimini. I like the idea of an on-the-rail mount type, but I can't seem to find one online. And I live a couple of hundred miles inland (my sister lives on the coast where the boat is), so the local canvas shop doesn't exist. I can get most of the parts on eBay but I am hoping someone can put me onto a size/type that has worked for them. At any rate I'm having fun learning to be a sailor, and am so glad this web site is here!

Randal