Author Topic: Winch size. How big is to big?  (Read 5269 times)

Vantage

• P323
  • P323 Idiot Savant
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Coral Rae
  • City: LaSalle
  • State: MI
Winch size. How big is to big?
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Lewmar 55ST winches that are only a few years old and in great shape for less than half the price of a new pair of Lewmar 46ST winches. Will 50's be to much winch? To big? To slow? I haven't measured, but I think they will fit OK. I can't help thinking there is a down side to this plan. I must admit, there is a certain appeal to those big boys.

Right now, I'm still using standard (non-self tailing) Lewmar 43's that are in great shape from the late 1990's or newer. I thought I would keep these mounted, but move them back farther on the combing.

Any comments, input, corrections of faulty thinking will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Craig

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Winch size. How big is to big?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:44:04 AM »
When I upgraded my winches to Andersen 45STs, I failed to account for the greater winch height.  This, coupled with the tall, ball-handled winch handles I use that make it easier for the Admiral to trim when the wind is up, brought things up close to the lifelines.  Fortunately, they just cleared. 

But it's one more thing to consider when going to bigger winches.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Re: Winch size. How big is to big?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »
It looks like the Lewmar 55ST's are almost 2" taller then the 46ST with a base that is about 1 1/2" wider.  The P323 does not mind being sailed hard, if sailed hard, and the 55ST's fit nicely; a bigger winch is nice.

BobG