Author Topic: Suggestions for pumping old diesel from my tank and tank cleaning.  (Read 6918 times)

Vantage

• P323
  • P323 Idiot Savant
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Coral Rae
  • City: LaSalle
  • State: MI
it has been strongly suggested to me by someone I trust, that my tank, based on usage last summer contains mostly old fuel. Perhaps very old fuel and needs to be removed before launch in a few weeks. I'm shrink wrapped on the hard at the moment. So, what is the best way to pump/remove the old deisel from my tank? Do any of you have experience with this? I've been told I may dispose of the old fuel in the old oil, oil change barrel. Also, is there any way I can clean or scrub the tank while it is empty?

Thanks much, Craig

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Suggestions for pumping old diesel from my tank and tank cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:57:50 AM »
You will find lots of info about "polishing" questionable Diesel fuel online. The only urgent thing i would consider is the option you have for free disposal of the old fuel.

A service company would charge a fortune for taking away the old fuel! Take advantage of your "free" opportunity ASAP. Get what you can out if it is really no-good then move from there. If it is an aluminum tank do not use a copper tube to remove the old fuel. A tiny amount of copper left in an aluminum tank can be a disaster.

Get a third opinion before proceeding- Someone who knows fuel and can see an actual sample from your tank. It is always possible you may burn it cruising with proper Diesel filters.

Good Luck-

Vantage

• P323
  • P323 Idiot Savant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
In researching this I have found several opinions stating that the quality of fuel when considering older small diesel motors is not very critical.  That in fact, these old diesels will burn just about anything and that it is the newer model diesels that are susceptible to poor fuel quality. One of these articles was by an old farmer turned sailor who said that old diesel, 4-5 years or more in the tank, was never an issue with his tractors, pumps and equipment so long as it made it past the filter.

Still, I have to admit I would feel much better with a squicky clean tank of fresh fuel.

I could find no one in my area who polishes fuel.

I baught a cheap siphone kit and extra hose today. Still not sure what the best approach will be?

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »
My MD11c was shutting down on me towards the end of last season. Out of frustration, I pulled the fuel tank. Poured off a lot of diesel which appeared to be fine. The Drew off about three gallons of what appeared to be, for want of a better term, diarrhea. Dark brown and thick. Marina added it to their tank of used oil. Pressure washed the inside of the tank til shiny. Filtered the good oil and put back in the tank. Will know in a couple of weeks if that cures my ills. My pick up tube was also almost shut with deposits.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Found this video from Compass Marine - this guy has a good website for boat projects.  May inspire you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MlnpptrqO8

Vantage

• P323
  • P323 Idiot Savant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
Found this video from Compass Marine - this guy has a good website for boat projects.  May inspire you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MlnpptrqO8

What a great idea!