Author Topic: Jack stand position  (Read 5389 times)

Kgorby

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: lucky lady
  • City: Sandusky
  • State: OH
Jack stand position
« on: April 09, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »
Last fall when the marina put my boat on the jack stand they put the back ones under the sail lockers. last weekend I noticed the port side is bowing in. I was told this would come out when it's in the water. I asked the marina to mover them anyway. should I be worried?

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Jack stand position
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »
Up front, I will state I am not an expert about this, but have read articles (and of course believe everything published on the internet). Fortunately have not had this problem myself, even when I bought Selene, after she had sat on the hard for 6 months or more.

The port side should not be bowing in.  This is not a good thing.

Worried?  Well, I would be worried about the yard, and their nonchalance reaction. The chances are it will indeed pop out - but it should not happen, and there is likely to be some damage which can vary from the insignificant to the worrying. It may be worth getting a second opinion from a surveyor - it may cost you money, but if there was a problem would make your life a lot easier.  Regardless I would photograph it. Inspect carefully.  Keep a written record.

Chances are, small deflection: minimal damage.  Exterior, look for fine cracking on the gelcoat - will it leave a mark as it 'pops out'?.  Interior, look carefully.  Depending on where it was positioned it could have damaged interior layups, e.g. anything tabbed or attached to he hull. Was it near the battery boxes? Are they still securely tabbed in place? Anything else near the bulge which could have moved/broken? Any sign of the layup cracking?

Fiberglass is amazingly strong and resilient stuff, and the Pearsons are well built. But it pays to be careful. No need to panic, but good reason to be concerned.

IMHO.  Good luck, and sorry for the situation.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Jack stand position
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »
The dents you speak of always indicate the stands were not checked and adjusted through the off season. As the ground settles all the stands must be adjusted. Don't worry. Like everything else, something will come along that would make you forget this-

Years ago I telephoned and asked a yard worker to lift my boat a little so I could put bottom paint under the dunnage beneath my boat's keel. Imagine my horror when I arrived to see he cranked up both stern stands and left my boat perched high above the dunnage supported by only the front of the keel and rear jack stands! Our 323s are tough. There was no "oil canning" and no perceivable damage. Learn to gauge the tension of your stands by the tension on the bottle screws and track this yourself. No worries-