Author Topic: mast boot doesnt do the job  (Read 12253 times)

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
mast boot doesnt do the job
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
I've just never been fully satisfied with the job our guy did at the end of 2013 season. i still see drops of water rolling down the mast in the cabin when its raining. I can't find the spot where the leak is getting through. Have resorted to stuffing plastic and cloth up from the cabin into the space to try and keep it dry. i fear that the water has gotten into the cabin ceiling around the mast. the teak that surrounds the hole is discolored and delaminated. very annoying. anyone have any suggestions? (other than the obvious... re wrap the mast).

although that may be the only solution. it seems like its just not done well and needs to be re-applied.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: mast boot doesnt do the job
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:07:24 AM »
you should be concerned. The cabin top (ceiling is a term used for a different boat part) is plywood with vinyl covering it and will be ruined by rainwater. I used aluminum foil and duct tape on the outside to seal my mast partners when I had a split in my mast boot in the middle of winter. Come spring you will want to strip any mast boot and see what you have between the mast and the Al flange that is mounted to the coachroof. I used Goodyear heavy black garden hose as a grommet between the mast and flange. I was able to stuff two courses with the cut seam fore on one and aft on the other. Now that the mast was centralized in the flange and held tight I used stretch mast tape and it has held up 4 years now. If you accidently kick the tape it will puncture. If not it can last a long time.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:35:45 AM »
Mt mast is help in place using Spartite - a 2-part rubber-like compound you pour into the partner "well" (with the underside well blocked using putty).  It fills the well, and sets into a stiff, waterproof rubber-like compound, effectively making a one-piece all-around "wedge" which is a perfect fit.  No leaks.

I don't pull the stick that often - apparently it can be reused, coming out as if from a mold; but I can't speak from experience on that.

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »
I have a large, white, split gasket that fits between mast and aluminum flange. Looks original. I hammer that in until it is all seated, and then wrap everything in duct tape, starting from bottom to top, overlapping every inch. I then have a sunbrella cover that goes over it all. Never had any water enter. Check it every fall.

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »
Great advice. thanks very much to you all
Mark

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »
One of the weak points in the mast boot seal is the extrusion for the sail track.  On mine, it's filled with a small block of teak bedded in 3M-4000 that has been fared to the surface of the mast to allow for making a proper seal.

For the boot, I used a Sail Systems Universal Mast Boot
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|2358532|2358538&id=3742665

Because I did it when I had my mast out, I was able to slip it over the end of the mast.  If you're doing it with the mast in, the boot does come with instructions for splitting it and special glue for reassembling it around the mast.  In either case, two large SS clamps hold it in place.

I also have a sunbrella skirt that velcros on over it to protect it from UV.

No leaks whatsoever.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:24:48 AM by admin »
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:19:48 PM »
Sweet Ed. I had one of those same boots for a long time. I like the TEAK plug in the sail track. I've got a blob of something there. Water in the track usually ends up safely in the bilge. Unfortunately I get a little puddle forward of the mast.... I used a lot of fiberglass and epoxy to try an fair this area when I made my new(est) and hopefully LAST mast step two years ago. ALMA must've been made on a Monday!

Any water around the trim under the partners is rot waiting to happen since this water is mostly fresh and will be trapped under the vinyl cover on the overhead.

Want to see something terrific?

I love this boat!- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub22bhf3TYo

The cockpit table is something I'd like to copy if I could engineer the strength into the sole- Ann needs a foot rest to brace herself with (her legs are too short to reach the opposite bench) and this table comes off to reveal a nice sissy bar. The best part is with the table attached there is no tripping over the bar in port.

Sea Haven

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »
Last year I un-stepped and did extensive electrical work on my mast as well as a new paint job. I had liner rot around the collar, but fortunately the "core" had little damage. I sealed the mast opening from below, filled with "Git-Rot" to the bottom of the metal collar, everything flowed horizontally into the liner and wood and cured, re-opened up the mast hole, new trim, problem solved. Got pic's I plan to post when I get time.

For the boot, I used a Sail Systems Universal Mast Boot

Sorry, for once I have to disagree with you Ed.

I purchased this thing and it did NOT look like ANYTHING in that picture. That has nice steps, appears well formed. When I got home from the Defender sale and opened the box I got this folded in half, misshapen cone that reminded me of a Phrygian cap. Look, I have no problem with expectations and reality...but I will never buy this particular item again. I spent more time trying to fit it on (Mast was off, I didn't have to cut it) that I just kinda gave up on securing it to the mast collar. Lucky I had anticipated this BEFORE the mast was stepped and ended up going the SPARTITE route and LOVE it!
Since I'm having a new Dodger fabricated, he's going to whip up a Sunbrella cover just for aesthetics

What they say

What you get:

What it ends up like:

If I were to just use a boot, go with this......
Waterboot

"Sub" Ed
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:58:36 PM by Sea Haven »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
Ed,

Wow!  That's a completely different experience than I had!

True, it did come as an ugly, folded-up lump.  But once opened out and allowed to sit in the hot sun for a while, it took its proper shape.

It took a couple of passes to get the top and bottom trimed to the proper diameter, but I was being cautious, as you can't "un-cut" it! ;)  I ended up with something that looked very similar to the photo I attached. (You'll have to take my word.  I looked for photos of the finished result but couldn't find any).

In looking at yours, I can't help but think that the collar is just too big for the mast.  I wonder if the so-called "Universal" boot actually comes in different sizes, and I just got lucky in getting a right sized one by accident.
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4

rkfitz

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Mystic
  • State: CT
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »
The mast boot seems like a bit of work compared to mast boot tape.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »
I had a 2" roll of self-fusing "Rescue Tape" ready to go as a backup plan.  This is the way the mast was previously sealed, and that had no leaks either.
@(^.^)@  Ed
with rebuilt Atomic-4