Author Topic: Salon side ports  (Read 6548 times)

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Salon side ports
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »
It's been 10 years since I reconditioned my side ports. They need to be re-done again. The Glazing Channel gasket material is shot. Does anyone remember the dimensions of the gasket material? Just the depth of glass and glass thickness should get me enough info to order new Glazing Vinyl.

I see an old P30 page that indicates: D752C  CRL Glazing Vinyl; 11/32″ Channel Depth 9/32″ Metal Opening for 3/16″ Glass – 100 ft Roll      

Does this seem correct?

This is a thankless job. I don't look forward to it. The last time I did this the boat was 9 miles from home. Now it is 50 so I'll need to cover the cabin with tarps while I bring the frames home to rehab. YUK...

Thanks,

Gene

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Salon side ports
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
Hi Alma,

Have a look at http://www.pearson323.com/forum/index.php/topic,206.0.html - a few of us have been through this before.  Also http://www.pearson323.com/forum/index.php/topic,291.0.html.

The easiest approach appears to be to buy the parts from Catalina Direct. Everybody has there own preference to caulking - I prefer butyl tape, others silicon caulk or 4200.

Paul

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Salon side ports
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
Thank you. Yes I know these posts I posted to one. I still want to find the thickness of the glass so I can get the window gasket from a local storm-door shop. Any ideas on the thickness of the glass?