Author Topic: Raising Boom  (Read 8195 times)

Seductress

• P323
  • Refit 2016/17
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Seductress
  • City: Bradenton
  • State: FL
Raising Boom
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:46:09 AM »
Hi,

Julie and I just took delivery of Seductress, a 1982 323 we bought sight unseen in an EBay auction. You can imagine our apprehension but we're delighted and excited with what we found. Sure she needs restoration and re-fitting but when we're done, we'll have exactly what we need.
We love the boat but find the bimini / dodger situation to be a problem. The bimini is too high and doesn't cover the front of the cockpit (only up to the boom). I contacted a sailmaker about raising the boom (and shortening the main) to accommodate a full length, full height (I'm over 6') reconfiguration underneath. He tells me the 323 depends most on the Genoa and shortening the main will not have a measurable effect of speed or performance. We don't plan to race (at the moment) but plan to cruise the Great Loop this summer. Any experience you may share with biminis, dodgers or boom raising is appreciated.
thanks,
Joe (and Julie too)
941-7O5-2OOO

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Raising Boom
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:56:30 AM »
Congratulations on a great purchase and welcome to the forum!  Lots of good information here, and plenty of knowledgable people to help out.  You're going to love the 323.  It's the perfect size for a cruising couple.

Our Bimini is similar to yours, limited by the boom-end sheeting.  You would have to convert to cabin-top sheeting on the boom in order to be able to extend the bimini further forward.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:06:51 PM »
I can confirm that the 323 is very foresail-driven.  Surprisingly so - I have been experimenting with sailplans, and she points as well with jib alone as with jib and main.  We quite often end up leaving the main luffing so we are not overpowered.

Other than that, no advice on raising the boom...I am not to tall so it works for me, but I can imagine the dodger being inconvenient at your height.

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »
I have a dodger and bimini. Where the front zips to the rear edge of the dodger, I have a double ended zipper that I can configure wherever the top of the main sheet is. Tell you the truth, I think sailing with a bimini is like driving a convertible with the top down and the windows up. I only put the bimini up in port or sailing in rain.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »
I don't like sailing with the Bimini either. Use it mostly when the temps are high and the sun is burning down and we have a long way to go.
We have a "connector" that connects the dodger to the bimini, used in port.  We also have side "rain" panels that completely enclose the cockpit. We can use the entire cockpit in all kind of rainy conditions while being completely dry. Lux  I got pics if you need them
BobG

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »
i would love to see pictures of the completely enclosed cockpit. that sounds awesome.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
Sure thing.  We got them late in Sept,  they are made from Sunbrella. The canvas guy recommends we take our time and think about where we want the Starglass windows.
Here are a few before and after shots
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:59:06 PM by Rusty Pelican »