Author Topic: Musings during the storm...of other boats to sail someday  (Read 10551 times)

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
Musings during the storm...of other boats to sail someday
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
It has been raining all day here in the San Francisco area. Early today Libations' anemometer recorded 33 knots while in her Berkeley slip. At Richmond just a few miles north SailFlow showed sustained wind speeds in the high 30s with gusts to nearly 50...while out at the San Francisco Sea Buoy (Buoy 46026) the steady winds peaked at 35 knots with gusts to 43.

All in all, it is a nice day to be ashore thinking of sailing...rather than actually doing so. For me, I have always thought the Pearson 367 (cutter) would be a great ocean boat and coastal cruiser...along with the Pacific Seacraft 37...or the Tayana 37. And then there is the Cal 40, the Baba 40...and the list goes on.

What would be your choice if you didn't have the most perfect boat of all...the Pearson 323!
Richard

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: Musings during the storm...of other boats to sail someday
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
I have experience with the PS 37 sailing in brutal weather. I wished I was on ALMA!

The coachroof must have something going on because when hard on the wind the head door won't close. I guess the oak compression post isn't up to the job. When on a starboard tack the galley sink fills halfway. The icebox is so small when a cold-plate is added there isn't room for a case of beer! The steering is unresponsive. The boat lumbers along but is fast enough. The settees are narrow and lousy to sleep in. The 37 has a "screwed on" cast iron keel I guess Pb was too expensive for a half million dollar 37 footer.

When my friend took delivery I was thinking with that "paper" one could stash a half dozen 323's all over the world!
Matt Rutherford's essay on sailing a 323 across the Atlantic adjacent to a hurricane it is a great tribute to the 323. I believe it is here somewhere. If not I can send you a pdf.

I sometimes look at the 424s online. That is a sweet boat too.

I sure wish I was sailing in your neighborhood!

Take Care,

Gene

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:29:56 PM »
I like the 424s also. Probably more boat than I would want but I like the layout with the pullman berth and nav station immediately forward of the companionway. The second hatch in the main cabin always seemed a bit odd to me...not sure who would use it or how often it would be used. A 424 rigged as a cutter would be my choice for this boat.

I am surprised to hear your comments about the PS 37. I thought it was a pretty highly regarded design. My only complaint (as an armchair reviewer) is that it does not have a separate shower stall.

What do others think of the Catalina 380. I once moored next to a Catalina 42 and greatly admired (mostly while doing my semiannual varnishing chore) the fact that there was no brightwork. The 380 received an award for best midsize cruiser back in 1997...and since cruising is part of my boat musings I sometimes think of it.
Richard

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
Cabo Rico 38.  I am a sucker for the bowsprit and clipper bow.  A cutter, of course. And oh, that teak and joinery! <sigh>.  Would probably avoid the teak decks (sadly).

The problem is the disconnect between dreams and reality.  Not just budgetary, but am I really ever going to go bluewater?  Sadly, probably not.  And as a coastal cruiser the P323 is tough to beat.  I am even winning a very small number of races when the wind is just right (i.e. I don't have to beat!).  Thy doing that in a full-keel Cabo Rico!

Incidentally, personally I think the 323 had just the right amount of brightwork.  Not too much - still a pain to upkeep - but enough to give the boat character.  A couple of months ago we had a cruise-out, ending up Mediteranean-style. As I looked out over the wall of Catalina's - plus a Hunter/Beneteau or two - there was little Selene, looking all perky and salty.  She had character - plastic perhaps, but classic plastic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:19:47 AM by selene »

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »
I admire the Cabo Rico 38 too. I met up with one back in 2007 in Morro Bay...I was northbound; Emerald Star was southbound to Mexico. I recall the two-level cabin: nav station and galley (I think) at one level immediately inside of the companionway and, a step further down, was the salon and V-berth. Emerald Star was rigged as a cutter (which would be my personal preference)...and the bowsprit and clipper bow were indeed quite beautiful. The full keel would seem to present a challenge to Bay sailing as you suggested but as an Ocean passage-maker or long-distance coastal cruiser I imagine that I would adjust quite easily.
Richard

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:18:18 AM »
Darn I meant cutter, not ketch...my personal preference also...couldn't see the "edit post" button! Wait, they appeared now...how odd...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:20:14 AM by selene »

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:03:31 AM »
Well if we're dreaming I'll go Morris.  Any one over 34' will do.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »
Why stop at a Morris?  Swan and Hinkley make nice boats too, I hear....or what about a Halberg-Rassey?  ;)

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »
We don't see too many Morris boats here on the West Coast...but I checked out the Chuck Paine designed 36 (the Justine model) and she looks like a sweet boat. The Morris 38 (reportedly a stretched version of the Justine) is also very pleasing to my eye. I wonder how windward performance with the 4'6" scheel keel compares to the windward performance of our 323s.
Richard

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
My next boat will be a Seawind 1160 or the 1160 lite