Author Topic: New Owner Hull 135 - Windlass Location  (Read 12233 times)

Scott

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Dartmouth Nova Scotia
New Owner Hull 135 - Windlass Location
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »
Well, It's been finalized. I am now the new owner of hull 135 named Blue Spray, to be renamed " Emmi Maria"! I have been reading up lots about these wonderful boats here on the owners site, and see that it offers a wealth of info from very experienced owners. I hope that someday, I too will be able to contribute something worthy, meanwhile I hope that you will put up with my questions! In addition to the holding tank, I will be installing a windlass and am puzzled as to what would be the best spot to locate it. Any suggestions on type and location would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:32:13 AM by SeaFever »

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: New Owner Hull 135
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:39:14 PM »
Hi Scott.

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the forum!  Please feel free to ask any question. 

As for windlass placement, that's something I've been struggling with for some time.  I've seen several solutions, but all seem to have some shortcomings, or require fiberglass fabrication skills that I lack. The 323's fordeck layout does not readily accomodate a windlass. 

One solution is to split the chain locker cover into two parts, with a built-up platform on the fwd part as the site for a horizontal windlass. The chain drop height into the locker is less than ideal, and will probably require some manual arranging of the chain to avoid pileups and jams.

Another solution is to place a horizontal windlass down inside the locker, with some sort of roller or skid plate where the chain will drag across the lip of the locker.  THe fwd portion of the locker is above open space in the forepeak, so the chain fall can be thru a tube and into the forepeak, where it can be allowed to pile up in a basket or down in the bilge.

One of the members here built up the whole portion of the foredeck ahead of the chain locker and mounted the windlass there, with the chainfall thru the deck and into the forepeak.

Hull #18 (which I looked at but did not buy) has a fiberglass pedestal built up where the ventilator port was, and has a vertical windlass mounted there.  The chain wraps around it 180 degrees and goes thru a hawse pipe in the sloped area just behind the stem fitting (see photos)

Honestly, though, in the 5 years we've owned the boat, while I kept searching for the perfect windlass solution, I've discovered that we've gotten pretty proficient at getting the anchor up by hand, even with a 33lb Bruce on 50 ft of very heavy 3/8" chain.   
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:51:21 PM by Dolce_Vita »
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Scott

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
Thanks Ed. I guess like you, I will continue to look for a suitable arrangement. Meanwhile it's hand over hand! It I see anything I think you might be interested in your self, I'll let you know.
Scott

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »
Scott, congrats on your purchase so #135.  I put a lot of thought and a lot of money in my windlass
Project. I posted pictures on this site. At the end of the day I am not sure of the best option. If your young and strong, you might be better off without a windlass to start off with. I am sure all on this site would probably agree there are countless other projects that might be more important before you tackle the windlass. You can reach me at rbrtfeld@aol.com and I will send you all the pictures. Good luck and welcome to this great site. It has been a huge help to me

Bob

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
My boat was purchased by me with a windlass installed. In front of anchor locker. Wood mount, hollow inside, chain and line feeds down into space ahead of v berth. Love it. Will snap some pics the next time I am there. 20s and snow here.

Scott

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:24:57 PM »
thanks for all the replies to my questions. This is going to be a long winter waiting to finally get her launched!
Scott

Wandering_bill

• P323
  • Hull #193 'Wanderer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase!  In seven months of cruising I've gotten lots of compliments on the boat and the solid reputation Pearson's have.

While you are waiting for winter to pass have a look through my blog and see where your 323 can take you: www.sailingwanderer.com

Windless?  I keep mine in the cockpit next to me during the day and in the v-berth at night.
Www.sailingwanderer.com

Dave

• P323
  • P323 hull #376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
Welcome to the family. I just finished moving my family across the state and it had been July since I was on my boat. We all felt so wonderful spending 4 days on her. I need to get her moved from Panama City to Saint Augustine. We want to jump this past week but the weather was not right for a 160 mile jump across the gulf. Moved her intercoastal to Carabelle to set up anoth jump window in late December. We want to keep her in Fort Meyers for the winter and then when we hit our summer break, spend a few months gunk holing the keys and work our way up the coast.

Be prepared for most of your major decisions to involve what is best for the boat. We used to have a three hour drive to her so when we bought a new car, it had to get at least 40mpg. We commuted at least two weekends a month. I did a yearly expense budget for my boat a few years ago. Counting slip fees, insurance, gas money to get back and forth to her and routine maintenance.........it runs me almost $10K a year and that is not factoring the price of diesel we put in her!  :o

Make sure you love your boat before you do any expense budgets.
Dave

adventurer, ex-hippy, good timer, (crook? quite possibly), manic self-publicist, terribly bad at personal relationships, often thought to be completely out to lunch

Scott

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 06:42:23 AM »
For the last few years I have been working on restoring a Pearson Triton, but I am not getting any younger and decided I needed a boat to just get out there sailing. I will continue to work away at the Triton, but if someone comes along that wants to pick up the torch all the better. What is the approx cost of keeping your boat at a Marina in Fort Myers for a month? I was in that area a few years ago and did some boating in Pine Island sound and around Sanibel Island area. Nice area.

slacker

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Charleston
  • State: SC
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase!  In seven months of cruising I've gotten lots of compliments on the boat and the solid reputation Pearson's have.

While you are waiting for winter to pass have a look through my blog and see where your 323 can take you: www.sailingwanderer.com

Windless?  I keep mine in the cockpit next to me during the day and in the v-berth at night.

Just checked out the blog. Crazy, we're from Charleston cruising the Bahamas and are looking to get a Vizsla as our next dog. Great minds think alike I guess. Ha!

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 02:49:22 PM »
Welcome Scott.

Congratulations on hull # 135.  People in this community have alot of knowledge on the P323 you will be amazed.  There is an older post in Boat Category, Hull & Deck Structrual, Anchor Windless Project, might give you some help.  Congratulations again...   

Dick Martin