Author Topic: Table Post  (Read 22636 times)

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
Table Post
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
Does the post that the table rides on serve any other purpose other than to support the table? If removed, does it jeopardize the integrity of the cabin top? If removed, would put a piston mount on table to raise and lower it. Removing the post could open up the cabin a little.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Table Post
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
The table post provides a grab-hold when you're mid-cabin and out of reach of either of the hand rails under the ports.

Of course, this is only of concern when you''re sailing well-heeled, or in rough conditions!  ;D
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Weatherhelm

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Barefoot
  • City: Saint Paul
  • State: MN
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »
If you drill a hole (or there may already be one)  up high on the pole then you can slide the table all the way to the ceiling and pin it out of there   this gets it out of the way
That is where I mostly  I keep it.

Cheers
Ron Wolfgram
Saint Paul, MN

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:11:49 PM »
I've often thought of shimming the pole up top and down below to make it a bearing member but never got around to it. I've seen 323s with decorative rope around the pole negating the ability to raise the table to the roof for storage.

I brought the table's leaf home. we never use it. Without the leaf under it is simple to raise the table and we've gotten used to its versatility.

I keep the table up unless we're using it. It is a firm handhold. It would be a fantastic strut if shimmed to the hull and coachroof.
The turn of the bilge under the pole is brutally strong. A strut would make the coach roof very firm underfoot.

It also would reinforce the cabin sole where it has a long span amidships...

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »
At 6'5", there is no way I can re pin the table to the ceiling, as I would be constantly smacking my coconut on it. Was thinking of taking the pole out and placing one of the pneumatic supports under it, opening up the cabin a little. But, if the pole gives support to the cabin top when my 250lbs walks around, the I will leave it.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
I brought the table's leaf home. we never use it.

Leaf?  What leaf?  Intriguing....

I have a nice paraffin light hanging from the ceiling so I can't peg the table up there. 

This fall I intend to add fiddles...never thought of a leaf, there is no sign of having been one. Maybe an extra, or dropped by the 1980 model.  I have a fiberglass cabin sole, no fancy wood finish under the primary winches, a single dorade, and an Al fuel tank (lucky guys with Monel), so it could be the original owner was just cheap.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:48:29 PM »
The salon table's leaf is stored on the underside of the table with two brackets and is out of sight from above. When removed and flipped over and reinserted into it's bracket again, it makes the table almost twice as big. The leaf is heavy though so it is stored in my garage at home...

The pole does not contribute to coachroof strength until it is shimmed with a block, above the headliner under the end flange to the coachroof, and with a block/shim under the sole to the bilge.

I haven't added this improvement yet but it is on the punch list. It is quite a span from the companion- way to the center bulkhead. If the pole was tied into the roof and bilge it would cut this unsupported span in half.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:14:11 AM by Alma »

Sea Haven

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
Wow...variants!! I have no sign of this "leaf" you speak of sir!

When I was boat shopping for the 323, the 1980 hull #224 Cocalada II that I looked at (the one with the nasty rust stain on the keel) had the table lifted to the overhead and pinned there the day I met her. I remarked to the Admiral, "Cool! Look at the room , what a neat design feature!"

When I first saw "Malambo" now "Sea Haven", I asked the owner as he talked about lowering the table for a berth "Where's the hole for the pin to raise the table over head?", he responded "Why would you want to do that?". I thought it best for his sake not to answer.

On the first day of ownership I drilled the hole.

"Sub" Ed

PS, I take it  since it really isn't a structural member it can be removed easy enough? I see it's Aluminum as mine is painted and hriibly chipped. I thing I'd like to replace it with a nice Brushed Stainless pole, or maybe even one that's chromed. But stay she will.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
It is only for the table. It could however be engineered to really beef-up the coachroof.

Sweet Pea

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
  • City: Bayfield
  • State: WI
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:23:16 PM »
My boat (298) was built without the post. The table is mounted on a pedestal and there is a central dome light mounted where the top of the post would be.

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 08:17:35 AM »
Really? Did you own her since new? Does the table drop to make settee into double berth?

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »
Yeh, Sweet Pea, any evidence of the post being there? There is another 323 near me that has no post. They claim never had one.

Sweet Pea

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
  • City: Bayfield
  • State: WI
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »
I'm the third owner. No sign of the post ever being there. The overhead light looks like a factory install. The post can be removed and the table top used to make out the double berth. The bottom mounting pedestal looks like the same one used on the posts for the other 323's but it's mounted closer to the settee, more centered one that space.

Now or Never!

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Now or Never!
  • City: Brunswick
  • State: GA
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 07:48:16 AM »
Leaf?  I would like to know more about this.  A photo or sketch would be appreciated.

Peter
Now or Never!

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
Here is underside of my table showing the brackets where leaf goes. The leaf stores upside down under the table -or- flips over and re-inserted into the brackets to create almost double size table reaching across area between settees. The leaf is almost as heavy as table so makes raising table to top position more difficult. We rarely used it so I brought it home.

If leaf is extended when table is lowered all the way to "bunk position" the leaf makes a substantial support for additional berth board that makes the entire cabin a big BED!

This size berth with a pole in the middle???!!!

I leave that to your imagination!