Author Topic: Mystery Fitting  (Read 5423 times)

My Cyn

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: My Cyn
  • City: Alameda
  • State: CA
Mystery Fitting
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »
Hi Folks,

I had an opportunity to spend some quality time in the bilge this past weekend. Attached is a photograph of a fitting on My Cyn that has me stumped. I am referring to the component held don by the metal strap, fastened with the two Phillips head screws. . It is part of the piping system that runs between the sea valve and the water pump on the VP MD11C.  I am trying to figure out its purpose. It may be a y-type strainer. Interested if anyone has any more or better information.

Cheers!

Bill 

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Re: Mystery Fitting
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
It is the raw water strainer. The opening is aft and at the bottom of the unit. The semi ring with the bolt is where it opens for cleaning. There is a screen mesh that pulls out.
BTW: It looks like you have another strainer attached to the clean outflow, good idea.

BobG

My Cyn

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: My Cyn
  • City: Alameda
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:26:55 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for the info.

The last engine mechanic installed the second white basket strainer downstream of the wye strainer. I wouldn't be surprised if he removed the screen from the wye strainer during that job. The photograph show what appears to be a homemade gasket (red) at the opening, along with some caulking/sealant. 

Access to the basket on the wye strainer could be better. The photo shows the space constraints. I have tentative plans to remove the wye strainer and replace it with a larger Groco basket strainer, positioned so the basket could be lifted straight up and out.

Regards,

Bill

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
Sounds good. I clean mine once a year, we get a lot of eel grass in NE.
I use a rubber gasket from Lowes, works fine and never leaks