Author Topic: What are you doing this Labor Day?  (Read 8627 times)

Sea Haven

What are you doing this Labor Day?
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »
Shipmates!

So have we all got plans for this upcoming Holiday weekend? Let's get a thread going, even if you don't put her in gear and just BBQ on board!

After all the work I did on here this year, we're planning something other than a day sail. So unless we get bad weather, we're heading out.

Cruising 43nm westward along Long Island's north shore into the East River making for Flushing Bay, Queens.

Gonna spend the night at the Worlds Fair Marina, take in the sights at the Park, and catch a Met's game at CitiField (ya, I got a thing for underdogs lol)
The Admiral is a born and bred Yankee's fan which makes for interesting discussions!!

Did the trip 2 years ago with our Mac (pictured below), we loved it. While most think of tropical breezes, far away island beaches, urban sailing has it's own set of gifts to offer.

Nice to leave the ballpark at the end of 9 innings, walk across the parking lot, and have the Marina right there!

Hard to believe this well maintained, inexpensive,  public Marina is in NYC. Despite the rumors...no killer rats, CHUD, mutants....just folks fishing and having a good time at night, and the NYPD Horse unit sits there all night as well.

Hope to replace that photo with one of the 323 this year.

"Sub" Ed

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Re: What are you doing this Labor Day?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »
Sailing! We are in Cape May, NJ so if you travel nearby give us a shout!

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
Driving my last college kid to school, three more years.
Here is a shot of me and a friend tucked and snug,  way in at Rockport Harbor Ma last week
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:07:20 PM by Rusty Pelican »

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »
i'm trying to plan something for monday/tuesday. i've been considering overnight near sandy hook. any suggestions?

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »
Have a few sailboat friends that are going to raft up Saturday @ Bird Island,N.C.  Then Sunday morning maybe take on a few race boats from the local race club, if we don't feel to bad.  Then again if there is any wind 15+ I don't think they go out.  That's when Frayed Knot gets some speed with the first reef in.   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:42:10 PM by Frayed Knot »

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »
It's funny how we all get used to different sailing conditions. "If there is any wind 15+ I don't think they go out."  Round here in summer time it is 20-25kn almost every day.  It slows down to 10-15 (sometimes less) over winter...so I would say if there is wind *below* 15kn, people often don't go out!

;D

jwspeck

• P323
  • P323 New Owner (Apr 2014)
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Lucky Mud
  • City: San Francisco
  • State: CA
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
The weather has been fantastic the past week in San Francisco.... Probably 20kn winds and 78 degrees on the bay today. I'll be out sailing for as long as my crew can stand it :)

Oh, then drinks at Hard Water afterwards on the Embarcadero. You're welcome to join ;)

- John Speck