Author Topic: Anchor Windlass?  (Read 8060 times)

Blue Heron

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Blue Heron
  • City: Sandusky, OH
Anchor Windlass?
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
Hi gang,

I was out this weekend and dropped anchor for a bit (mainly to test the new anchor roller we installed), and I was reminded of just how much work it is to haul anchor out of a mucky bottom :o. It got me to thinking that a windlass would be a real benefit, and would probably lead to a lot more overnights and anchoring in general.

Anyone have experience with a particular windlass that they either liked or disliked? Any installation tips regarding the Pearson 323?

Thanks in advance!

Smooth Sailing...

Chet
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:01:04 AM by SeaFever »

Salvation

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Salvation
  • City: Ellsworth Harbor
  • State: ME
Re: Anchor Windlass?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:40:24 PM »
Chet,

I gave much thought to the windlass (due to an aging back and many silt-clay bottoms) and ended up installing a Maxwell vertical 1500 with chain wheel and capstan. (I use 5/16 HT chain and 5/8 3-strand line.) To have a fair pull through the bow roller, I installed the head on a cone of bubinga (a dense African wood) about 4-3/4 inches high, with a hollow center for the shaft and gearbox. Having the motor below deck requires the extended shaft model. I reinforced the deck with a 1" bubinga plate and the steel plate supplied with the windlass. The windlass is located forward of the anchor locker, and the motor hangs into the forepeak. One drawback is the line must be tailed and the chain fed back into the locker. This works fine once you become used to the procedure. You might also check out one of the newer rope-chain wheels, but at the time I installed mine I was not satisfied with any of the combination wheels on the market, especially their splitting mechanisms. One could go all chain, but I would prefer not to add the weight forward. Also, a direct feeding unit would probably work best storing the rode in the forpeak to have a better vetical drop - but I would rather keep the wetness and mud out of there.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:26 AM »
When we were boat hunting, I took these pictures of hull #18 (then "Windemere", now "Lark in the Clear").

The vertical, manual windlass was mounted on a fiberglass pedestal, located where the bow ventilator was.

A hawse-pipe was installed on the sloping surface ahead of the windlass, and covered with a captive canvas flap.
I believe the chain would then collect in a basket sitting in the area behind the hatch at the peak of the V-berth.

@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Now or Never!

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Now or Never!
  • City: Brunswick
  • State: GA
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »