Author Topic: Starter & Altenator on a Volvo MD 11C engine  (Read 5319 times)

larrabo

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Severna Park Maryland
Starter & Altenator on a Volvo MD 11C engine
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »
Just got my Pearson and on the delivery the  engine started fine at the dock, but when restarted after sailing the starter did not disengage after engine started. Made an awful noise for about 30 seconds but eventually stopped. We were able to motor into our dock. Prior to that we heard a terrible noise in the engine room and a smell of rubber burning. We disengaged the alternator belt. The boat's previous owner didn't use the boat much and it was on the hard for over a year. Does this mean that the alternator & starter will need to be replaced? Is their a less costly fix? I read that Volvo parts are expensive.

Other than the above I liked the way the boat sailed . The boat has a comfortable easy motion under sail and power. With a 3 blade prop we were at hull speed at less than 2000rpm.

Larry

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Re: Starter & Altenator on a Volvo MD 11C engine
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
Not sure about the alternator. My best guess is the the starter's bendix spring is getting caught somehow.
I would remove both the alternator and the starter.  The original starter motor was made by Bosch.
Bring both parts to a battery shop for test and or rebuild.
My Bosch starter had a dead spot on the armature, $1300 for a Bosch replacement, rebuild  was $250 and good as new.
Good Luck

BobG

Bill1188

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Breaking Wind
  • City: Whitehall
  • State: MI
Re: Starter & Altenator on a Volvo MD 11C engine
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:31:38 PM »
Any good shop that rebuilds starters/alternators can fix it. Sounds like the starter solenoid is acting up. Any auto parts store will have a replacement.