Author Topic: Atomic Four, Ethanol, and Copper Fuel lines  (Read 5729 times)

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
Atomic Four, Ethanol, and Copper Fuel lines
« on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
ALMA has pretty flare fitting copper lines from the Monel fuel tank to the original AC Fuel Filter.

E15 is apparently NOT compatible with copper in the fuel system.

Has anyone heard of a need to change-out these well crafted and previously permanent fuel lines?

Thanks

Sea Haven

Re: Atomic Four, Ethanol, and Copper Fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
Alma,

Not sure where your getting the E15 "not good for Copper lines" information from, but it piqued my curiosity enough to do a little research.
I have Cu lines myself.

There is SO much hearsay,  misinformation, Lobbyist out there I don't know what to believe.

IOW and MHO, I can't find much evidence of deterioration of Copper to the point that it would be of concern. Fiberglass tanks, YES!

So with that in mind, I offer this for evaluation to draw ones own conclusion:

BoatUS Federal Boating News
Apparently should not be a boaters worry if they fuel at the dock vs bringing it down from the local EXXON Station in bright red jugs.

Review and Evaluation of Studies on the Use of E15 in Light-Duty Vehicles
Good data on materials corrosion. However I believe the source is from a "pro-ethanol" commission.

Finally, when all else fails.......
Snopes: E15
Is Congress pulling back? Is it not the silver bullet we thought?

In the end, I saw E10 eat up older engines in 2004 and 2005 as the bulk of our USCG Auxiliary Assistance calls were for gummed up engines, but that was with the plastic/rubber components. Never heard of Cu deterioration.

Again, just one mans opinion.

"Sub" Ed