Author Topic: Blisters 2 part question  (Read 7767 times)

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
Blisters 2 part question
« on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »
1st could you use West System Six 10 Epoxy in the tube for your blisters?  I have about 10 to 15 smaller than a dime.  2nd what West System filler would you use 404,406,403,405, or 407.  I already have used it on the bottom of the skeg with some 407 filler.  Please don't tell me that I have to take it off and start over.  Everything I have read said it was a strong epoxy.  The only problem was the first and final coats before and after the filler were a little thick.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Blisters 2 part question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
No direct experience with West System 6 - from the website, it looks like it is designed primarily for filleting/gluing, but may work.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/filler-selection-guide shows the filler selection guide,  You'll probably need 403 or 406; as I recall the 406 fibers are quite large, and so you may even want to mix them both.

In your shoes I would call or email West Systems, explaining the situation, and asking their advice.  I have generally found manufacturers quite helpful.

The 407 is very fine, I have only used it for fairing, but moved to 406 which although coarser I can use in a wider variety of applications.

Let us know what you discover!

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:44:16 PM »
Thanks, I will let you Know... If anyone knows more let me know.

Dick

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »
I talked to West Systems today and they said that it was all ok and that I could also use it to fill the blisters because it was already thickened.  I told them that the blisters were about the size of a dime and I would have to grind them out a bit.  They said it would be a little harder to sand.  I take that it must be a little stronger.  I am going for it

Alma

• P323
    • View Profile
    • GeneSmithStudio
  • Vessel Name: ALMA
  • City: Forked River, NJ
  • State: NJ
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »
It's easy to get hyper-worried about a few blisters. The truth is they are mostly harmless. If you have a dozen or so it's no big deal. You must look for them immediately after the boat comes up in the slings as they have a sneaky way of disappearing as the seawater dries from the bottom.

It's a good idea to pop them now and rinse them really well with fresh water. Then leave them alone until a week before you launch. That gives them a chance to really dry out. Luckily Bill Shaw had experienced workers and our boats were rolled to death during construction and have had a history of very few bad bottoms.

Any West System permutation will work better than necessary. West is a premium product and perfect for a beginner. When you get more experience you will enjoy the savings of Maas or other resins that perform just as well.

Remember to really rinse the blisters with plain water and wear goggles when popping them. They may be filled with water soluble acids that could harm your eyes.

It's true this epoxy/filler combo will be "difficult" to sand. That's where a "fairing board" is so important to prevent removing good softer gelcoat from around your new and harder than gelcoat repairs. It doesn't have to be fancy- a sheet of 320 sandpaper stapled (to the EDGES) of a 36" long 1X6 will insure your sandpaper will ride only on the surface and not gouge your hull. This is the difference between "Fair" and "Smooth". Fair follows the boats contour- Smooth is just shiny but wavy. A long fairing board will insure you're "fair". Then "smooth"is easy. You only need to attach one sheet to the middle of the board for a blister.

This is an easy job. Once you are sure you have no more blisters finish with Interlux Inter-protect barrier coat. It's pricy but has protected ALMA for 12 years. Not a single ZIT!

Good Luck!

G