Author Topic: Potential owner P323  (Read 24831 times)

rkfitz

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • City: Mystic
  • State: CT
Re: Potential owner
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 11:53:58 PM »
Hi John
I sail out of Mystic, so it looks like you sail the same waters. I sail with a cruising club, with as many as thirty five to forty sailboats, so I have a good sense of how the 323 compares to others. First motoring: The 323 with the md11c and three bladed prop outperforms every other boat in the 30 -34 ft range, particularly in heavy seas. When you are slogging through Rhode Island Sound, powering through waves that are stopping 2 bladed boats in their tracks, you won't mind the drag on days with light wind. After all, this is a cruiser, and if your destination is Block, Nantucket, or Cutty, you want to get there. One other thing: as you already know you will see a lot of tidal current, and sometimes you will be in opposition. With a headwind and oncoming waves the 323 will maintain a minimum of 5 kts at 2000 rpm, which is 80% of max.
As for sailing, I have no problem staying with any of the other production boats of that era up to 34 ft. The only boat that gives me trouble upwind is a 34 Tartan who drafts over 9 ft with a centerboard. Yes, Catalinas have inboard jib tracks, but they need them because they are so beamy. All the other boats develop weather helm much sooner than a 323. However, in calm water under 5 kts you will get spanked. Then suddenly you remember "I'm not a racer, I'm a destination cruiser!" and you fire up the diesel. Also, in your sailing grounds a shoal keel is important. For instance, you could cut straight across the shoals between Edgartown and Nantucket while everyone else is making a long U through the channels.

jwstahl

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
Thanks rkfitz.  More good info.  I'm looking at another boat this week, but I'm definitely leaning toward the P323.  Good points about shoal draft and engine power in current.
How do you find the boat's upwind performance in BI, FI, and LI Sounds?
John

Sea Haven

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 03:01:51 PM »
John, rkfitz,

Just want you two to both know you're not alone in these waters.

Me mate and I hail out of Mt. Sinai Harbor on Long Islands north shore, and though the "Great Godsea" berths at Liberty Marina in Jersey (due west across the Hudson from the World Trade Center) he plans to make it eastward to our waters on occasion. I have two other 323's in my harbor alone which I'll make a better effort in reaching out to them to join this site. So by my reckoning that put's at least 6 323's within a day's sailing distance of each other if John grabs a 323.

This means a lot of hands on, face to face sharing, and a possible local 323 sailing group lol.

As for myself, this will be the 2nd season with the 323, so I'm fairly new to the learning curve as well. Even with what little time I got to stretch her legs last season I'm thoroughly happy with the 323, enough to continue to invest heavily with upgrades. Not that she need's it, but I'm a different sailor than the previous owner who had her for 28 years. For example: a COMPLETE conversion of ALL incandescent bulbs (cabin, nav) to LED bulbs, refitting the Primary electrical system to something more modern that includes an ACR as well as Battery Monitoring capabilities, as well as numerous other items to make her "mine". You get the picture, I plan to keep her for the next 28 years. This boat fits the Mate's and I needs to a "T".

So John, if you do make the decision to sail 323 based on the data your getting here, also know there are enough of us around the region to compare boats side to side and share ideas. At least that's my hope.

rfkitz (and any other 323 sailor reading this thread in the NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA regions) add yourself to our Pearson 323 Owners Map which can also be located under the Owners registry link. I'm sure you will as well John should you take the 323 plunge.

As I said, plenty others chimed in on performance, I'm hoping us locals can get together on occasion...did someone say "Block"??

Fair winds and following seas.....
"Sub" Ed

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »
Ed puts it well. i also picked up my 323 last spring. its my first boat, let alone first sailboat. my impression of boat ownership after being on other peoples boats has been that its mostly about dealing with problems, spending lots of money, in exchange for rare opportunities to go out once in a while, followed by a lot more work and money to refill the tank or fix other problems.
So you can imagine my pleasant surprise to find that i seem to have purchased the only used boat in the world with none of these problems!

seriously,
-she's dry as a bone all year in all weather.
-she is such a fuel miser i am constantly checking my fuel indicator to be sure its actually working. i still can't believe how many trips i can take without the need to refill that tank.
-she gets up to 5 knots in reasonable wind easily, and then blows my mind by kicking up to 7 if i'm really paying attention/dont bring in sail quickly enough. i've had one scary moment coming about with too much sail... had her way over, but she popped right back up once i released the main.
-gets along at 4.5 to 5 knots at 2k rpm with no problem.
-tons of room in the cabin.
-tons of room on deck for friends.
-my operating expenses continue to be very low relative to my early expectations.

and best of all, i've spent ALL THIS LONG COLD WINTER either "glory days" reliving last years experiences or reading/planning/talking (my wife would say talking to death) about this years great expectations...

anyway, as you can see, its a good bunch of people here, and i'm really digging being an owner. i can't wait to get her in the water and get under way.

good luck whatever you decide.
Mark