Author Topic: Re bedded some ports!  (Read 7982 times)

Wandering_bill

• P323
  • Hull #193 'Wanderer'
    • View Profile
Re bedded some ports!
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
We had some serious rain the past couple of weeks and noticed that both of the larger fixed ports on the port side of Wanderer had some leaking. After some online research and a bit of procrastination, I decided to tackle the project over the long weekend.

Getting the ports out was a little tricky as they were attached with the original foam type weather stripping and a pretty bad silicone caulk a PO had spooged in there. But after some prying, giggling, and cutting with a razor blade they gave way.

Once they were out, cleaning them up became the most time consuming part of the process. Liberal amounts of Goo Be Gone were applied and lots of scraping ensued. Once clean, I had decided on Butyl rubber tape as my method of sealing and bedding the ports. I bought a role at my local Napa for about $23. It was very easy stuff to work with. Certainly a lot easier than my experiences using 5200.

The ports went back in pretty easily and after tightening the inner flange/liner I gave it a pretty good soaking with a hose and found no leaks! 

Each port took about an hour and a half, so really not a very time consuming or expensive project as boat projects go. The major part was getting the frame clear of the old sealants and then making sure the goo be gone was properly cleaned up so the butyl could adhere. I was really impressed with the ease of working with the butyl  and what I've read about it. I'll definitely keep a role around.
Www.sailingwanderer.com

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
Re: Re bedded some ports!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
I am impressed with how quickly the project was finished. Thanks for the pics!

Did you need to replace the seal between the glass and the frame itself?

Also, did you consider filling the gap between the inner liner and the outer side wall of the cabin trunk? I have read that this gap can allow the two sides to flex and a leak will soon follow. Your observations and thoughts on this matter will be appreciated.
Richard

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
I suspect his use of Butyl tape will help mitigate the flexing of the space betreen the cabinhouse and the inner liner.  Butyl caulk has a tremendous elongation factor without rupturing the seal, compared to all other types of caulk.  It's weakness is that it has virtually no mechanical adhesive strength and should only be used in places that depend on other fasteners for the mechanical strength.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Wandering_bill

• P323
  • Hull #193 'Wanderer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »
I thought a little about sealing the void between cabin top and liner, but I figured the butyl tape would hold up like Ed said, and with tightening the inner flange it's pretty tight.

There wasn't a problem with the seal between the glass and frame, so I left it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right??  That's what my take is on that and the starboard ports for now.  I've got other pressing projects :)

I'm converting over to a propane stove system from alchohol. Today I put in the "vapor tight seal" for the propane line in the cockpit and used a little of the leftover butyl to seal that too.  It's great stuff!
Www.sailingwanderer.com

Sea Haven

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »
All,

I need to re-bed all my ports as well.

But I'm kind of on the fence as to whether of not to outright replace the fixed ones with opening, or combination fixed/opening ports in the process.

I'm know it's the more expensive route, but ventilation would be worth it out on the mooring!

Those of you who did re-bed your ports wouldn't have happened to jot down the cut out dimensions (perhaps for future use?) so I can start the budget process with the WAR Dept, Lord Admiral of the High Seas??

Thanks!

"Sub" Ed