Author Topic: removing salon/dining table  (Read 13156 times)

waterwks4me

• P323
  • "Sterling" hull #51
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Sterling
  • City: Eastern NC
  • State: NC
removing salon/dining table
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »
I want to refinish my salon/dining table on "Sterling" but do not want to sand it down inside the boat.  So I would like to remove it but I am not quite sure how.  I am assuming I would need to remove both top and bottom pole attachments at the same time since there is no leeway to remove one and then pull out of other.  Has anyone done this before?

Coppifan

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: West River, MD
Re: removing salon/dining table
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:57:04 AM »
Hi,

I'm looking forward to seeing anyone's advice. I  had a carpenter visit the boat yesterday to look at replacing the table with one in teak that would have one folding leaf.

Bill Eggert
Fortunata
West River, MD

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: AnaMeg
  • City: Superior
  • State: WI
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:32:35 PM »
I removed mine but it was during a complete gutting of the boat. Yes, both top and bottom brackets need to be removed. I don't recall how it was attached at the top but removal was not difficult. I put in a plywood backing plate before re-intalling and had to shorten the pipe accordingly. I think the original was fastened with screws directly into the cabin top.

Geoff

waterwks4me

• P323
  • "Sterling" hull #51
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:15:32 AM »
Geoff, thanks for the input.  I kinda figured as much but wanted to make sure my thinking was right.  Why was it necessary to place a backing plate behind the pole mount?

Bob

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:37:59 AM »
Bob, It probably wasn't necessary to put the backing plate in. After all, it survived 30 years without one. Like so many DIYers I have a tendency to overbuild. It has saved me from my mistakes more than once.

My thoughts at the time were that the screws go into a thin layer of fiberglass and then into end grain balsa. The balsa has a holding power for screws similar to dense foam. i.e. not much. Getting in and out of the settee invites using the table for support and leverage and it appears to me this places a lot of rotational force on the table. (As we get older we find getting in and out of the settee requires more support and leverage.) I thought a plywood piece would allow for 1" screws to get a better bite than the 1/8" fiberglass. I also thought the 3/4" "sink" for the screw would give better lateral support (resist rotation) than the 1/8" fiberglass. I think I used 1 1/2" screws so they still have the holding of the fiberglass that they had previously.

Again, probably not needed but also not much trouble to put in the backing plate.

Geoff

waterwks4me

• P323
  • "Sterling" hull #51
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »
Geoff, you make alot of sense.  I thought about what you said and my wife and I both tend to grab onto the pole sometimes for getting in and out.  I will consider putting one in myself when I do the refinishing project.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »
But doesn't the backing plate still have to be screwed into the fiberglass? 

Unless the backing plate is large enough to allow for more screws, placed farther from the center of rotation, I don't see how it would help much.
Am I missing something?
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »
The backing plate is epoxied to the fiberglass. Howevere, I used screws to hold it in while the epoxy was setting. These screws went in the same holes the final pole mounting screws went in but were smaller. (#8) They were only needed to hold the chunk of plywood for a day. Thus the final pole mounting screws (for lack of a better term) are #12 and bite into the plywood and the fiberglass inner skin of the cabin top.

Hmmm. That's still a bit murky. I'm going to put this together as a "project" for Brian to place on the project page. Perhaps with the pics it will be clearer? It won't be until next week, though. Going up to the boat tonight, paint bottom tomorrow, launch Wednesday, and, (dare I plan it?) sail Wednesday and Thursday. Then home again.

Geoff

finn

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Sea Quell
  • City: Point Roberts
  • State: WA
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »
I removed my table and pole,I was able to remove pole by just loosening the bottom support.I refinished the tabletop and  cut off the outer corners on a 45 degree angle,6x6 app triangle pieces,then finished cut edges with teak trim.This was a great improvement as it allows much easier entry and exit from dinette,especially for us larger folks.
I also painted the black pole a white color,looks much better.
Finn on Sea Quell,hull#385,the last one made.

AnaMeg

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
If you could remove the pole without removing both top and bottom brackets I wonder if the pole is short enough to allow too much play, weakening it's structure?

Good to hear about trimming the corners. We have thought of that, especially the fore end. Getting caught between the table corner and the mast can produce embarrassing pain. Have you added a fiddle to the table? That's another thing we're considering.

I've painted mine also. It is OK but moving the table up and down scratches and abrades the paint quickly. We had it "professionally" done by a steeple painter. (another story) He did a lousy job at a great expense. When I redo it I'll use RustOleum.

I haven't done the "project" yet. Hope to get at it soon.

Geoff

Coppifan

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: West River, MD
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
Hi,

Do you have a photo of your new table?

to Bill Eggert   Coppifan@AOL.com

Thanks!