Author Topic: Anchor windlass  (Read 7958 times)

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
  • State: NY
Anchor windlass
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
After manually retrieving my 35 pound cqr with 100 ft of chain several times this season I have decided if I want to keep anchoring my boat I need some assistance in the form of a windlass. Would be VERY interested in hearing the selection and experiences of other 323 captains on this subject. As always pics very instructive as well as informed discussion. 

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
Re: Anchor windlass
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:04 AM »
I am with you. I have a project in process right now. I went with a quick windlass from QuickUSA.com. I will send pictures later this month. Having deck built up with fiberglass right over the current anchor well to get the right angle to the gypsy. I think this is going to be the ticket as there is not a lot of room to work with.

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »
The shank on the CQR 35 is long though it is possible to install a windlass with the standard anchor roller setup.  The optional anchor pulpit makes it easier and cleaner install.  I carry a CQR 35 w 60ft 5/16 chain and a Claw 22 with the same setup.  I use the Claw 22 most of the time

Dulcinea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Dulcinea
  • City: Mamaroneck
  • State: NY
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
Thanks Rusty.  that is my challenge.  I don't have the optional bow pulpit/anchor platform.  I'll have to relook this after having one of those fabricated and installed.  If you have a windlass, which model did you decide to go with?

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »
I do not have a windlass, after much research decided I did not like my options.  I have looked around for a bow roller. In Provincetown harbor by Wood End,  the best holding ground is in 60' of water. When push comes to shove I have cranked up the anchor using the jib halyard winch.

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
  • State: CA
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:21:16 AM »
Here is a picture of the first step of my windlass project We built up the deck by three inches. In order to get the right angle for the chain and rode to the center of the gypsy, we are planning 2 1/2 inches of teak under the windlass. Hope to finish this on the 29th. I chose a Quick crystal windlass from Quick USA. Got a great deal on it on eBay. This model was replaced with a New name but they look exactly the same. I will send more pictures when we continue going forward with the final install
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:02:55 AM by rbrtfeld »

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:29:32 PM »
My windless fits in my anchor locker with a foot switch on deck.  I only have 25' of chain and the windless only has a drum for line.  I pull the 25' up by hand.  Seems to work for me at the moment.