Author Topic: Fuel tank Fill Point (or whatever its called) Problem. how can i be the only one  (Read 6058 times)

The Great Godsea

• P323
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: The Great Godsey
  • City: New Rochelle
  • State: NY
i'm sort of... self conscious about bringing this subject up... but what the heck.
So, i took an overnight cruise this weekend (first time since i've bought the pearson... the only boat i've ever owned). Visited 2 fuel docks other than my marina (also, a first for me). in both instances, the diesel hose on the fuel dock had a nozzle that wouldnt fit the boat. what is up with this? i have never had this problem at our fuel dock.
we spent 45 minutes in the first case trying to rig funnels out of various soda bottles and duct tape etc, even made one that worked for a short period out of an extra length of bilge pump hose and the top of an air horn... finally managed to get 4 gallons into her before we gave up. that put us up to 3/4 of a tank and we decided to go.
when i tried to top off the tank on the way back, the second marina had same problem so i threw my hands up and risked the trip back with half a tank and made it.

Bottom line is that my svelt fuel sipping boat got us the 18 miles there and back (about 2/3 of it under power about 7.5-8 hours total) on basically 5 gallons.
A. how great is this boat?
B. how is the diesel fuel pump nozzle NOT a standard gauge?
C. is there some sort of adapter i need to find and find Quickly?
D. so, chuckle away on the double entendre...

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
I had the same problem!!

Probably overkill, but I bought a West Marine diesel filter, and attached a foot or so of flexible hose.  The hose fits in the fueling hole, and I use a bit of bungee to support the funnel on the lifelines.  Very useful when filling from fuel cans (our local fuel dock had a run-in with a stinkpot, who forgot to cast off before leaving..it's been over a year now...)

I run about 3 hours a gallon (27hp Westerbeke)

Rusty Pelican

• P323
  • http://rustypelican.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Rusty Pelican
  • City: Hingham
  • State: MA
Pearson used the standard fuel fill pipe of the day, it worked for Diesel and gas pumps..  Most but not all the Diesel fuel docks have switched to the newer and wider Diesel nozzle to avoid fuel mix-ups. 
I get mad at the new Audi TV commercial where everyone yells "Stop Lady" when she pulls up at the Diesel pump. You can't put Diesel in a gas car, nozzle will not fit.
I got a monster funnel with a big capacity bowl

BobG

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
I have the opposite problem.  Dock attendants keep trying to wave us over to the diesel pumps when we have a gasoline powered Atomic-4.  Many of them hane never even seen a gas powered sailboat engine!
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4