Author Topic: Kayak or Hard Dink...how to carry on deck?  (Read 8905 times)

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
  • City: Berkelely, CA
Kayak or Hard Dink...how to carry on deck?
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
I am thinking of adding either a couple kayaks or a hard dinghy to my cruising equipment. Either of these options will increase my ability to explore when compared to that possible with my little inflatable dinghy.

I am curious about how others have safely secured a hard dink or two kayaks to the deck. Can you still work the boat safely? Any lessons learned that could help me? Other thoughts?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:59:00 AM by SeaFever »
Richard

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
Re: Kayak or Hard Dink...how to carry on deck?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »
I'd like to hear kayak solutions too. 

My wife is anxious for us to find a way to bring our two along on trips,
but they're 9 1/2 and 12 ft respectively, and pretty beamy. 

I've seen other boats put one or two inside the lifelines on the foredeck,
but I feel that would be badly crowded on our boat.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »
This is just an update for those who might be interested. I ended up purchasing an Ocean Venus sit-on-top kayak. It is in addition to the inflatable dinghy that I store in the starboard cockpit locker. The kayak is secured on the port side deck by lines bow and stern tied to the nearest stanchion base, and by a bicycle cable lock that is threaded through one of the kayak scuppers and then around my side stay. Under sail I move the kayak toward the stern, which seems to be the best position both for the kayak and to minimize possibility of interference with my roller furling line and jib sheets.

This stowage configuration works reasonably well even though it essentially prohibits use of the port side deck as a path forward. By mounting on the port side the starboard side remains unobstructed (essential for reefing). Stowage of the kayak itself is also facilitated by the way it seems to lie against the cabin top on one side and rest against the shrouds on the lower side.

Last weekend I was out in 25 knots apparent, motor sailing to windward at about 30 degrees apparent, and in pretty boisterous wind waves. I was pretty well soaked at the wheel, the foredeck was drenched with spray, and boat motion was pretty severe at times. The kayak seemed to move gently with the boat's motion but I did not see anything that really worried me. Later I eased off to a broad reach and as the wind dropped to 15 or so I unfurled the jib. We moved along at 6 to 7 knots in the same sea state and all seemed to remain secure.

My conclusion is that a single kayak stowed on the port deck can work reasonably well on Libations since my port cabin top is used for life raft stowage and I typically go forward on the starboard side. For a second kayak to work on the starboard side I would want to mount it as far forward as possible so that I had easy access to the cabin top and foredeck. The major problem with this stowage strategy would be obstructing the anchor well. I may still try a second kayak but this is what I can report thus far.

Any thoughts from others would still be appreciated.
Richard
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:48:33 PM by Libations Too »
Richard

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »
Well, here is another update...and a change of mind.

After a year with the kayak stowed on the port deck and in anticipation of adding a second kayak I began to rethink my options...and buying a bigger boat was not one that I considered!

My first step was to realize that putting two kayaks on the side decks or foredeck would really impact sailing the boat. Kayaks on the side decks obstructed my path forward; kayaks on the foredeck were in the way if I wanted to use my solent stay or even just to anchor, and one kayak on the foredeck and one on the side deck seemed only slightly better.

So I thought I'd try the Garhauer kayak racks to see if they could work in the 323. I bought one rack thinking that I'd still stow one kayak on the port side deck. To make a long story a little shorter, I ended up buying two Garhauer kayak racks and mounted them outboard of the cockpit...one on the aft-most stanchion and one on the pushpit frame. This allowed the side decks and foredeck to be free of obstruction and still allowed a way for me to carry two kayaks.

Over the past few days I have sailed from Berkeley to Monterey on my way to the Channel Islands. Yesterday I saw winds to 31 knots and wind waves from 4 to 6 feet. I was sailing downwind and the kayaks were never a worry. I think my initial idea of mounting them on the side decks might work for protected waters or for short sails...but not ocean sailing. A couple of photos:
Richard

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »
Awesome - thanks for documenting this - and please write up your cruising notes on your website!  Sounds like it wil be a fun trip - fair winds!

Libations Too

• P323
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »
Selene, I will update and expand my website cruise log to include this trip. It will take some time after I return, but I will share my experience.

Right now I am sitting in Santa Barbara, having rounded Pt. Conception at dawn on Tuesday. To do that I left San Simeon at about 2:00 PM on Monday afternoon. It was a good overnight passage. To the islands next!
Richard