Author Topic: Folding Prop users  (Read 6637 times)

Eddy

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
Folding Prop users
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
Hi is anyone using a folding prop? I'm looking into purchasing one and wanted to get information, advice, experience from anyone who is using one. I'm leaning towards the flexofold after reading the PS review of folding and feathering props. Thanks.

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Re: Folding Prop users
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »
I'd like one also, but with two kids in college....not yet!

A little while ago I contacted Max-Prop.  This was their recommendation (I have a 27hp Westerbeke - and clearly the prices may have changed since this email):

Thank you for expressing interest in the Max-Prop. Based off of the information provided the following props would be recommended:

63-314 (63mm 3 blade classic 14" diameter): $2500.00
63-215 (63mm 2 blade classic 14" diameter): $1650.00

In regards to performance both the 2 and 3 blades will perform the same in flat calm water. However, in rough seas or adverse weather conditions the 3 blade will perform about 30% better than the 2 blade but of course it will also create a little more drag being that there is 1 extra blade.

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: RockStar
  • City: San Pedro
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
I recently put a 3 blade Max-Prop on my 1979 #192 with a MD 11.  I love it. it has a lot of power both forward and reverse. When I ordered it, I asked for a better price than the standard asking price of $2,500 and was given a pretty good Boat show discount. I think it was at aleast $400 off the MSRP. I was taking the boat out of the water for a bottom job and installed the prop myself. I asked the sales rep to to mark and set up my prop based on his recomendations and watched the YouTube video three or four times to make sure I knew what I was doing. It was pretty easy to get it done. I did install and take it apart a couple of times to make sure it was correct and was great practice if I ever need to change the pitch. My original prop was a 17 inch X 12 LH. I set it the new prop a little more aggresive than was recommended by Maxx-Prop and it seem to be fine. Make sure the last and final time you put it together that you remember to install and check that you installed all the cotter pins. I almost forgot the final four pins before dropping the boat back in the water. The folks at Pyacht.com were great to work with and I would highly recommend their products and customer service. Good Luck

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »
rbrtfeld, do you recall the size - did you use the size they suggested to me? Just filing away the information in case some money comes my way... ;-)

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »
I belive the Maxx prop was a 15 inch LH prop. They then told me what setting I needed when I put the prop together on the boat. There is a good vidio on YouTube for maxx prop. I have the original 17inch LH brass prop that was on the boat if anyone needs one.

3-Blade Variable Pitch Max-Prop Installation  by PYIinc on YouTube

rbrtfeld

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 06:52:17 PM »
I just saw a Maxx Prop that has been reconditioned on Ebay for $799.  It is for a 1 1/8 shaft, which is what is needed for the Pearson 323.  Here is the Item number. Good luck

Ebay Item # 370895960375