Author Topic: Exhaust goes under  (Read 7284 times)

Frayed Knot

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Frayed Knot
  • City: Myrtle Beach
  • State: SC
Exhaust goes under
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Was coming in the jetty's last Sunday and I noticed that the exhaust pipe was going under water sometimes.   I was under power and could hear the change of sound when the exhaust went under.  I don't sail under power a lot but never noticed this before.  Is this normal for the transom to drop that much or could it have been the following seas or both?  I did have the dingy on the davits but is only weighs 80 or 90 lbs. if that much.  Am I worrying about nothing?   I did check the bilge and it had no water.   
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:19:16 PM by Frayed Knot »

Carolina Dog

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
  • City: Oriental
  • State: NC
Re: Exhaust goes under
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
Hi Dick,
Lucky Dog seems to squat at speed. I noticed a dark exhaust smear even with the exhaust outlet. Haven't noticed it going under yet but I am sure with a following sea she might easily do so.

Boat is still in Belhaven but all of the heavy lifting is done so my fix it list is down to port lights and cosmetics. I have a shakedown to Ocracoke this coming weekend. Still planning on bringing her to Georgetown in December.

Fair Winds, Marcus
Lucky Dog

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
That is a long ways for the transom to drop.  The bow would be pointed to the sky!

More likely this was due to the following seas that are common in the entrance of a pair of jettys.

If your engine was running, you're ok.  Although the engine doesn't like to have the exhaust submerged (it raises the back pressure), a brief amount like you describe is harmless. 

It's of somewhat more concern when the engine is not running. A poor, or marginally designed exhaust system could allow the following seas to ram water up the exhaust and back-flood the manifold.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:10:31 PM by Dolce_Vita »
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4

Eibeltje

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Ortona
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »
Hi Dulce-Vita,
Your exhaust went under water , this happened  to us also (if we load to much good yellow liquid in the box) but the exhaust hose runs way in the top of our cockpit locker and if it is that high the water really has to burst in your exhaust to go all the way into the engine.Now we have a smart little exhaust outlet on the transom with a little "door".The water can go out ,but not in ! Smart.You can buy them yes for money!
Now I read a lot of your blocks and I understand you have rebuild your Atomic 4.Boy that would be above my eyebrows.
I like to hear from you to which side your shaft is offset : Starboard or Port ?
What rotating prop you are using LH or RH (counterclockwise or clockwise rotating) 
Is your boat steering strait or if there some/much pulling to  starboard or port under engine ?
Thanks

Eibeltje

• P323
  • P323 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • City: Ortona
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
Well you did not go under water with your exhaust but Frayed Knot ,sorry for that mix up !
Still I like to hear from you about my questions ,thanks.

Dolce_Vita

• P323
    • View Profile
    • S/V Dolce Vita
  • Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
  • City: Pasadena
  • State: MD
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Well you did not go under water with your exhaust but Frayed Knot ,sorry for that mix up !
Still I like to hear from you about my questions ,thanks.

I'll start up a new thread to answer your questions so as not to hijack this one.
@(^.^)@  Ed
1977 P-323 #42 "Dolce Vita"
with rebuilt Atomic-4