Author Topic: Starter Battery  (Read 3554 times)

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
Starter Battery
« on: February 01, 2024, 08:02:02 PM »
I'm finally starting the project to add a starter battery to Selene. I was simply going to use a G27 battery, but apparently my engine (Westerbeke 30BThree) only needs 190 CCA. So I was wondering...maybe a G24? or even smaller?

What do you have?

After setting up the new starter batter, I can link the 2xG28 @~100ah each, so I'll have a small but robust house bank. Plan is to use a Victron Orion charger between the two banks; I could use a basic BlueSeas ACR, but it I eventually want to move to LiPO4, the Orion seems a more futureproof choice.

Thoughts welcome!

Last Resort

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
Re: Starter Battery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 11:44:58 AM »
a group 24 battery is more than enough for a starting battery.  I know some that use a golf cart or motorcycle battery to start their Yanmars.  I use a basic G24 marine myself for starting, and 2 100ah LiP04 for my house (which replaced 3 G31 105ah AGM batteries, and the 2 LiP04s give me more actual ah usage than the old 3 did :)).  It takes alot of special wiring, devices and such (alot of research), but with the price of LiP04 starting batteries, it's the best solution right now.  Once the LiP04 starter batteries come down in price, I'll most likely switch my G24 out too. 

selene

• P323
  • Mighty Member
    • View Profile
  • Model: P323
  • Vessel Name: Selene
  • City: Redwood City
  • State: CA
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 12:28:55 PM »
Thanks, it is as I thought. Like I said, my plan is to move to LiPO4 in two stages: first to set up a more futureproof wiring/charging and starter battery, and then - then the lead/acid batteries die - move to Lithium.

The main reason why is that is quite expensive to move direct to Lithium. The batteries are expensive, but it is the electronics, specifically the new voltage regulator and charger, that really bump up the price...so doing it in one go is rather expensive!

Last Resort

• P31
  • Pearson Yacht Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Model: P31
  • Vessel Name: Last Resort
  • City: Spanish, Ontario, Canada
  • State: ON
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 09:21:55 PM »
it can be, and waiting for the lead acid to die is sensible.  I had 3 31group AGMs as mentioned, and they all died early thanks to Covid and sitting for too long without proper charging by my marina at the time :(   So new batteries where in order.  To replace the 3 AGMs, I was looking at around $1500CDN all in for 3 more, which would've gave me around 160 actual amp hours of use (you only can use 50% of lead acid), but I bought the 2 LiP04s 100ah from Renogy for under $600Cnd on sale a piece (going now for $419cdn) with NO taxes at that time (they've do charge now though!), and now have 200 actual amp hours of use, although I've never had to go down below 65% with my solar panel, and no hydro as I anchor out the whole summer.  Also for you US boaters who are looking at Renogy, their prices in the US are somewhat higher than in Canada, and if you buy in Canada, you also get the great exchange discount as well :)